Mercier rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funk2monk

Unfortunately the original Simplex gears have failed and need replacing.
The frame has the fixing/location hole but this is not threaded?
Existing gears bolted through but I can’t find a replacement set.
Do I put a hanger on and go for the conventional threaded mount?
Open to suggestions.
Cheers

Sharky

Guru
Can you take a photo of what you have now?

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

Attachments

• B2C1238F-7442-4345-A709-62C12509C9E7.jpeg
    B2C1238F-7442-4345-A709-62C12509C9E7.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 3E5A4D2C-09FE-4F77-9BB3-4F69685E5497.jpeg
    3E5A4D2C-09FE-4F77-9BB3-4F69685E5497.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 1
  • CD73E9A2-45FC-4DE9-BA49-7AD877950C32.jpeg
    CD73E9A2-45FC-4DE9-BA49-7AD877950C32.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 1F373453-EBC5-479A-A0E9-52E5CEC65CEE.jpeg
    1F373453-EBC5-479A-A0E9-52E5CEC65CEE.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 2

Sharky

Guru
Good photos, but I don't know what to suggest. The brazed on hanger looks a bit different to "modern" hangers and I'm not sure if a modern RD, even if it was threaded or bolted on would fit your hanger and if the stops would be in the right place.

If you go for a bolt on hanger that goes round the axle, the existing brazed on might be in the way.

Do you have any old parts you could experiment with? I have a bolt on hanger you can have to experiment with. PM me your address and I'll post it to you.

Another option would be to forget the gears and switch to single speed or fixed. The horizontal drop outs are perfect for single speeds.

Good luck

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

Good photos, but I don't know what to suggest. The brazed on hanger looks a bit different to "modern" hangers and I'm not sure if a modern RD, even if it was threaded or bolted on would fit your hanger and if the stops would be in the right place.

If you go for a bolt on hanger that goes round the axle, the existing brazed on might be in the way.

Do you have any old parts you could experiment with? I have a bolt on hanger you can have to experiment with. PM me your address and I'll post it to you.

Another option would be to forget the gears and switch to single speed or fixed. The horizontal drop outs are perfect for single speeds.

Good luck

Good luck

Thank you Sharky,
I know it’s a weird one.
I may look at a line for like replacement Simplex but first will look at ‘modern’ hangers to see if this will work.

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

Thank you for all the answers and suggestions. I’ve been experimenting and now realise I have no idea how you are meant to fit the gears to the frame and keep tension. Do you fix from behind using the retaining nut? Or do you screw to Allen bolt in? Either way it seems to lock the gears to the frame with no movement or the tension spring is unable to keep the gears tight!!😲

Top Bottom