Mesh for home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I must admit that I don't really understand mesh technology, not that I've had a need to and drilled down into it. I suppose I get it conceptually but the details are beyond me at my current knowledge level. My old school gut reaction is to think primarily in terms of cabling and/or EoP when I've reached the practical limits of WiFi.

OP
OP
Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
TBF good ole' ethernet cabling is still the best option if you can do it!

Emanresu

Don't Sena helmets use a form of Mesh (bluetooth mesh rather than wifi mesh) for communicating within the peloton?

CXRAndy

Guru
I went with TPlink Omada series devices. When I was having wiring done, I got ethernet cables run to many parts of the house. I have 10APs around our property being a spread out property. Our LAN runs at 2.5gb speed

It's is fed from a 5g signal gathering a reasonably reliable 100mbs upload and download.

Most are hardwired but some use mesh piggy back connection

Even I found it simple to setup

OP
OP
Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
By way of update, we go very well indeed. Only wobblette was when the set-up app asked what kind of wi-fi we had and presented lots of options, suggesting we go and talk to our network operator. Turns out we stabbed the right button, so all well.

Whole house is covered, guest network set up, all devices acquainted with the new wifi. Couldn't be happier :smile:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Where I am now was built in 2004 and, during the build was equipped with ethernet cables from every room into a central patch panel. Some builders obviously had an eye on the future.

I did exactly this when the house we bought 10 years ago was totally gutted and renovated. Ethernet and coax TV cabling to every room, gathering in a cupboard downstairs. I can connect any room to any other with Ethernet and coax cabling.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Deco M5 units here , now have 5 , spread over three floors . The WiFi is decent , have guest WiFi ,enabled , have my normal WiFi we use as family and now recently setup IoT WiFi on 2.4 GHz for my smart switches . All working well, very configurable .

Ooh you people might be able to help me.

Apparently my electric car charger has lost the wifi a few times over the last month or so - when it does it switches to just charge the car until full.
It's better that than not charging - but it does mean sometimes it'll use up electric after the cheap rate hours expire.

My router is only about 4 meters or so away from the charger - in an upstairs room but for some reason the signal isn't great.

Is there a cheap way to get a booster plug in the garage - there it would be about 1m from the charger.

I'm not sure it's worth paying three figures for a booster pack - that's a lot of electric.

Where I am now was built in 2004 and, during the build was equipped with ethernet cables from every room into a central patch panel. Some builders obviously had an eye on the future.

19 years on cat 6 is now cat 8. 1gb/s to 40gb/s. I doubt it matters in domestic use though, but future proofing doesn't always last that long in modern technology.

19 years on cat 6 is now cat 8. 1gb/s to 40gb/s. I doubt it matters in domestic use though, but future proofing doesn't always last that long in modern technology.
With cables already in place it makes it easier to pull through new ones if required. A lot of domestic kit still only uses 100MHz ports very few uses anything above 1GHz. 4 years ago I replaced some Cat 6 with fibre in two of the most important stretches of the network and upgraded switches to match.

Top Bottom