Mesh wifi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We got the Deco M5. Three units for less than £200. Dead easy to set up with a downloaded app. The whole system has one name & password, & seems just to work.

kynikos

Veteran
Not limestone walls but engineering bricks here. WiFi was always a nightmare until I installed a Netgear Orbi Mesh system. Not the cheapest but it's rock solid with speeds throughout the house at 90%+ what I get at the router.

Chislenko

Veteran
Thanks for posting this was looking recently for something to boost WiFi to garage and back garden.

However I'm sure I was put off the mesh when it said something along the lines of the electrical system all having to be on one circuit and the trouble spot, the garage, has it's own fusebox.

And does it work if your house has the modern type fusebox with the separate circuits and trips for different parts of the house?

We have a similar problem, or did, new build and masses of insulation so the B4RN wifi would not penetrate and rendered Ring cameras at front and rear of house useless. B4RN has 1000 Mbps thingies to your router so ridiculous fast but useless to us.
Bought 3 pack BT mesh discs off amazon for £168, one into router, one in utility, one upstairs. Big 4 bed house and never had a problem in years now.
Many farms around here have the rural wifi connection and thick stone walls. All use a BT type mesh system or those mentioned above and solves all problems

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Thanks for posting this was looking recently for something to boost WiFi to garage and back garden.

However I'm sure I was put off the mesh when it said something along the lines of the electrical system all having to be on one circuit and the trouble spot, the garage, has it's own fusebox.

And does it work if your house has the modern type fusebox with the separate circuits and trips for different parts of the house?
That is not MESH systems but mains Wifi expanders , again I had those with Virgin , utter tosh hence buying MESH devices .

figbat

Slippery scientist
When you say extenders, have you tried Access Points such as Unifi Access Point Lite? You can set these up and name them the same as your main router and your devices will follow the signal strength. We have two of these to cover previous dead spots and work really well (for us)
This - I recently installed a wifi access point upstairs, set the SSID and password to be the same as the main router downstairs (but chose a non-overlapping channel), now we have a continuous network with no need to switch, the device just chooses the strongest available option.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Our house has the “modern” fuse box, our Tenda MW5 mesh works

Chislenko

Veteran
Our house has the “modern” fuse box, our Tenda MW5 mesh works

Thanks to yourself @BoldonLad and @MrGrumpy for the info, the mesh sounds like just what I need.

D

Deleted member 26715

Why do they make them all looking like an ornament, I don't want them on show, wall mounted hidden away, not on display.

Top Bottom