Metal in brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EdgEy

Hello, I have a week old Trek 1.1 road bike and I keep getting metal stuck in the rear brake pads. Had a look at the rim and there is a light scratch around the circumference of the rim. No idea where the metal is coming from as there's no visible chip in the rims.

Any ideas? Is it likely a small bit of metal flung up from the road and got stuck? I've had to remove metal twice now in a week and this time the scratching brake sound isn't really going away. Front brake is smooth.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Change the brake blocks to a different type. Koolstop are good.
Some blocks are prone to trapping bits of grit, and once a bit of grit is in the block, it scrapes the metal off the rim. It's usually worse with the back wheel because that gets grit or gritty water flicked onto it off the front wheel.

If you do nothing, and do things like ride on muddy country lanes in poor weather, you can find a wheel worn out quicker than the front tyre.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'd have another look at the rim(after taking the pads off and making sure all the metal is out).

You can get metal off the road but in my experience it usually results from a small ding somewhere on the rim.

Once you find it it just needs some very fine sandpapering

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I had the same problem with factory fitted Raleigh brake pads. Change them for a 'better' model and it should be fine
thumbsup.png

e-rider

crappy member
small bits of metal will accumulate over time in any brake blocks (from the rim) - a good reason to change the pads every 6-12 months - you can also just dig them out with a small blade of a knife.

OP
OP
E

EdgEy

I've picked everything out, brushed the rims with a cloth a good few times to remove any alu "dust" and sanded down the rubber pads a bit.
If it happens again in the next week or so think I'll get back down to the LBS if it's as simple as getting better pads.

Seems a bit daft to sell a bike with pads that clearly aren't fit for purpose. Picking crap out of the pads more often than oiling my chain!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OEM fit pads are a bit naff - change for a softer compound. It's just a cost saving exercise, but the lower end pads are flaming hard, and end up wearing the rim (especially if you are riding every day in all weathers.=).

Top Bottom