Mezzo Tweaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I've had my Mezzo D9 for a few years now, very happy with it except for a couple of niggles.

1) The back brake is useless.
2) It doesn't like staying in first gear.

I think the reason lies in the cable routing to the rear brake and derailleur which seems to have been designed with convenient folding in mind rather than for efficient braking and gear changing. (The cables go under the rear wheel cradle and then sharply back up.) I'm looking to re-route them to avoid this sharp bend. Have any other Mezzo owners had to do this and how did you ensure that the chain didn't rub on the repositioned cables?

lilolee

Veteran
There is an interesting thread here
http://tinyurl.com/zycfxsp

OP
OP
al-fresco

al-fresco

Thanks for the replies. A replacement cable with a teflon coated inner (Clarke's Premier) restored rear brake performance even with the original routing. It's still not brilliant but at least it works. I've bookmarked the thread that Lee suggested and I'll refer to it in future. Thanks again!

lilolee

Veteran
Thanks for the replies. A replacement cable with a teflon coated inner (Clarke's Premier) restored rear brake performance even with the original routing. It's still not brilliant but at least it works. I've bookmarked the thread that Lee suggested and I'll refer to it in future. Thanks again!
Out of interest where did you get the cable from?

Unfortunately Mezzo are quite ignored most places, with that forum probably having the best threads.

OP
OP
al-fresco

al-fresco

Out of interest where did you get the cable from?

Unfortunately Mezzo are quite ignored most places, with that forum probably having the best threads.

Sorry, that should have read "Clarks Premium." I did a one hour, click and collect, from Halfords £6.99. It looks like Clarks have now repackaged the kit as "Clarks Stainless Steel Universal Brake Cable Kit" but the inners were clearly teflon coated so I didn't argue. The kit contains universal front and rear inners and enough housing to cable up the rear brake of a Mezzo - though, when you've done that, there isn't enough housing left over for the front brake.

Top Bottom