Mid ride recovery time ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

exbfb

Not having done any longer than 12 miles before, I upped it a little this morning and did 20.
10 out, 10 home and the wind was kind to me being flat calm.

When I got to my turning point I took maybe 3-5 minutes to take a couple of snaps and have a drink.
At that point, I had a genuine thirst and needed a drink.

Because of the flat but bumpy terrain, my pace (11.7mph avge including stops for stiles etc.) meant that I was never out of breath, but the legs definitely felt a wee bit tired at the end. It took me 1:43 to do the 20 miles on the canal towpath. I can do way better than that pace, but not on bumpy gravel.

Now, to my question.

I'll be looking to up the total distance soon.
How long should I expect to have a break for in order for the legs to feel kind of fresh again ?

I want to do 40 miles, so.
10mi - 3 minute drink break - 10mi - half hour break - 10mi - 3 minute drink break - 10mi.

Does that sound reasonable ?

Xiorell

Über Member
I've just been playing it by ear.

"that hill F***ed me up, I'm stopping for a moment" or, "I've just covered 10miles but I'm fine, quick sip of water mid ride and carry on", whatever my body is telling me I need at the time

Glover Fan

As you get fitter you will be able to do 40 miles without stopping, so just play it how you feel. I personally think stopping every 10 miles is a bit excessive, but in time you'll find it easier.

OP
OP
exbfb

exbfb

As you get fitter you will be able to do 40 miles without stopping, so just play it how you feel. I personally think stopping every 10 miles is a bit excessive, but in time you'll find it easier.

I'm struggling to see that, I have to say - regarding doing 40 miles non stop.

I'm a recovering fat bloke in my mid 40s and it's safe to say I have never ever in my whole life been what you might call even approaching physically fit.

As others have said, I'll go with the flow. I do try and set myself targets for mimimum distances, but yesterday was a bit odd.
Each of the ten mile legs was essentially dead flat with no hills at all to either climb or give a little respite on the descents. It's also quite q bit bumpy in place. So it's relentless pedalling 100% of the time. Now I know I never want a fixed wheel bike...
I'm not complaining though, it's all good fun.

lulubel

Über Member
I'm struggling to see that, I have to say - regarding doing 40 miles non stop.

You'll see :biggrin:

Seriously, as you get fitter, you'll find yourself doing rides you could never imagine now. I did 20 today, non-stop which is about it for me at the moment, if I want to do anything else for the rest of the day. I could probably manage 30 without a rest, but I'd be exhausted and good for nothing for the rest of the day, and probably the next as well.

I couldn't do it now, but I can certainly see myself being able to do 40 non-stop (as long as I master eating on the bike which is beyond me at the moment).

Give it a few more weeks of getting fitter, and you'll probably start to get more of an idea of what's possible.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Yep. When I started out I was managing a 10 mile loop with two stops along the way. Now a 50 miler with just a comfort stop half way is easy. You will be amazed how quickly your fitness builds up.

Post back in a few months and tell us how far you are riding :biggrin:
You'll see :biggrin:

Seriously, as you get fitter, you'll find yourself doing rides you could never imagine now. I did 20 today, non-stop which is about it for me at the moment, if I want to do anything else for the rest of the day. I could probably manage 30 without a rest, but I'd be exhausted and good for nothing for the rest of the day, and probably the next as well.

I couldn't do it now, but I can certainly see myself being able to do 40 non-stop (as long as I master eating on the bike which is beyond me at the moment).

Give it a few more weeks of getting fitter, and you'll probably start to get more of an idea of what's possible.

I reckon you should always remember why you're cycling.
For me, I wanted to get a bit fitter and and lose some of the lard belt while enjoying being in the fresh air and scenery. You need to push yourself, but for me, if it stops being fun, it'll stop so I try to set myself realistic targets. Like a long walk, it's all one step at a time, and you're already seeing improvements. Keep plenty of fluids in.

Andy500

I've found after two years of regular road cycling coupled with spinning when the weather is bad that I can now go out on a 60 mile non stop ride averaging 19mph with a drink only. However through bitter experience any more than 60 is like hitting a brick wall, twice I've reached the 60 mile mark having not taken anything to eat and suddenly found I couldn't even stay upright on the bike never mind peddle it.

So if I'm planning on a 60 mile + ride I take a banana, a couple of jam sandwiches, cereal bars and some jelly babies and eat something every 20 miles whilst I'm riding (I avoid at all costs stopping during a bike ride, hate stopping), don't then have any problems.

So what I'm trying to say in a long winded way is that you will find your own level as experience is gained. Each of us have different nutritional needs depending upon level of experience, fitness, pace, terrain etc.

pepecat

When I started I didn't stop on rides - didn't go all that far, maybe 15 miles or so, but I've never made a habit of stopping really. I try not to cos that doesn't feel like 'real' cycling to me (but that's just me!).
I can do 20 miles without a stop easily now, and probably more than that. Yesterday I did 40 miles and stopped a couple of times - not planned, but i nipped in a bought a sausage roll from a bakery and then found a field to stop by and munch it. I don't stop for long though - maybe 5 mins at most and then carry on.
I find eating whilst cycling is ok, it's just unwrapping whatever I have with me that's the bugger!

You'll soon get to know how you prefer to do things - try drinking on the move cos you need to take on liquid frequently and personally i find a mouthful or two often is better than half a bottle full in one go. I hate cycling with all that fluid sloshing around in my stomach!

Top Bottom