mind at peace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I agree with the OP except I can get into that frame of mind on almost any road where the number of cars passing in either direction is low enough to count on your fingers in half an hour. Luckily I live less than a 20 mins ride from a whole network of this kind of road.

I particularly like a stretch where I cn climb at 7mph or so for 15 mins. Not so steep you have to work hard and quiet with birds singing and the wind in the trees the loudest thing you can hear.

Mind you it takes me 35 minutes to reach that bit!

Life on the road always gives me the peaceful state of mind.
I aways say when asked the time...its daytime or its nighttime.
Nothing else seems to matter.

mike1026

I WANDER'D lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,They stretch'd in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:A poet could not but be gay,

In such a jocund company:blush: gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

By William Wordsworth (1770-1850).

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
stephenjubb said:
I find when bicycle touring (particularly solo) especially when in the coutryside away from populations (Northern Scotland etc) I find my mind at peace with no thoughts whatsoever (particularly nothing negative, no stresses or pressures).

This can be hard to achieve for anyone and I never have in normal life. That is one of the many reasons I love bicycle touring.

I doubt if many non bicycle tourists have ever experienced it, but it is one of the most rewarding experiences one can ever experience.

What does everyone else think?

Are you sure that you don't just keep falling asleep? There'll be a clue if you keep wondering how you got to be in a ditch.:biggrin:

postman

Legendary Member
Cycling saved my sanity.Took it up whilst going through a divorce.
Now 22 years later it means so much to me.The cafes the regulars that you meet,the cycling pals that i have.Picked up a chap in Otley last year.A lone cyclist now he rides with us.
Freedom to cycle where you want.Open spaces scenery.

Well you know what i'm talking about.That's why we all cycle.

I'll never be like Armstrong. But there again he will never be like me.And he has not got a CycleChat jersey.

Christopher

Über Member
I like that first brew in the morning with that sharp clean moring freash air, camped out in the wilds, watching the sun light the hills up & you just know it's going to be a great day!

Postman, I loved your post there. Especially the last line!

Some of my best rides have been 'competitive' sportives & some have been long meanders looking at things, reading the paper in the shade of a big tree & perhaps a short nap before carrying on...

Top Bottom