Mind over estimated physical ability!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
I would honestly factor in some jump rope. It's as great exercise for burning fat, general fitness and bone density. Even 15mins a day would get results if you keep it up. Ideally you'd want to aim for 30mins a day if possible.
Please be realistic.

30 minutes of sweating and panting on a skipping rope or a nice sit down with a pie and chips watching Harry and Megan accuse dying Phil of being a racist?

This is England after all.

Lovacott

Über Member
I had two bikes in mind end of last year and almost, well had it ordered to a local shop for collection, purchased a Trek Emonda Sl6.
There are no easy bikes.

My new carbon fibre Boardman road bike is much quicker up the same hills, but that's because I'm riding the bike only and not taking all of the excess stuff like work clothes and tools.

The reality is, you are moving a weight over a distance so the amount of energy expended will be the same however you do it.

You can reduce drag by running narrow tyres and cutting back on wind resistance by changing riding position, but that's about it.

There are no easy bikes.

My new carbon fibre Boardman road bike is much quicker up the same hills, but that's because I'm riding the bike only and not taking all of the excess stuff like work clothes and tools.

The reality is, you are moving a weight over a distance so the amount of energy expended will be the same however you do it.

You can reduce drag by running narrow tyres and cutting back on wind resistance by changing riding position, but that's about it.
I think you missed my point or I didnt explain very well. There are no easy bikes but bikes are built for different things and different types of riding. A race bike would forever make me feel I should be going quicker and climbing quicker where as a touring bike for example wouldnt make me feel that. Its a personal feeling and not a claim that different bikes make you faster. The same reason I no longer ride high powered race style motorcycles because it doesnt suit the type of riding I want to do or enjoy.
Also there is a comfort factor. My current bike is more comfy over distance, for me, than a race orientated bike. If I ache and uncomfortable I am not enjoying the ride and ultimately will stop more or labour more and increase time. Comfort will increase enjoyment, distance and probably time

Last edited:

Lovacott

Über Member
I think you missed my point or I didnt explain very well. There are no easy bikes but bikes are built for different things and different types of riding.
I got your point.

When I'm commuting to work on the old MTB, I get frustrated at how slow I am on the uphills.

That's why I have a weekend road bike. I can do the worst hills in less than half of the time it would take me on my MTB.

But I can't ride the road bike for big sections of my commute due to the road conditions.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When all you really want to do is sit in a heated car listening to the breakfast show.
What's currently available as breakfast shows on car radios is a good incentive to go by bike instead so you can hear birdsong and shoot!

Top Bottom