Mini-roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Is there a reason that mini-roundabouts cause so much confusion to road users?

There are some pretty hectic roundabouts in Norwich, but non make me feel as unsafe as a fairly innocent looking min-roundabout near my home.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tra...d=pyOBQW1c9GZDablzcDcMOg&cbp=12,49.14,,0,0.36

I turn right at this junction, in Primary, if not actually on the centre line so that I can't easily be missed by oncoming drivers, and signal early and until I am about to make the sharp turn around the centre island, but somehow, 9 times out of ten, cars still drive straight across without registering that I am there. The other 1 out of ten times is hampered by a pedestrian or cyclist crossing the junction without looking, or taking any notice of me coming round the corner.

Is this a normal experience for mini-roundabout users?

Most other mini's round i use seem to work well on the whole, although when it's busy people forget who has priority/ should give way and it can end with 4 lanes of traffic waiting with no one taking the initiative to pull out, which is funny to watch.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Oh yes:

View: http://youtu.be/u5VazEOjono

Svendo

Guru
Yep, happens at this roundabout, reasonably frequently. Cars coming from Smith Street either don't see you turning right, or simply don't compute and start going anyway.
I think there are several factors, drivers tend to look to their far right, so can scan right past you in the correct position near the centre of your lane, which is effectively straight ahead from their position. A car making the same manouver would be in their field of view due to being wider.
Sometimes despite the obvious road positioning some assume that as your not signalling whilst actually riding across the junction they can ignore their need to anticipate and give way. This is despite having signalled clearly until the need to cover brakes and steer round the junction.
Also some drivers see you, sometimes on their 'second look' as they begin to set off, then get all confused and go anyway.
Taxis and mini cabs turning right from Smith St usually don't bother going roung the roundabout anyway, but Bus Drivers are nearly always faultless in giving way and general manners at least at this junction.

machew

Veteran
In Birmingham the ones near us are just ignored, drivers going the wrong way round, over the top etc. There are a few that people have thought I was going left, rather than straight on. As I am normally in car using those they could not use old smidsy

There's a group of drivers who just ignore them - they're not "proper" roundabouts. So b****r the indicators or lanes. Straight over the top.

IF you're lucky, they'll slow down a bit ... but only if there's something as big and shiny as they are. That does NOT include bikes.

But then you get councils who put mini-roundabouts in the stupidest of places. Like here. There is no way any vehicle larger than a bike can go round the rab to turn right. And any bike stupid enough to try doing it right .......... take it from me, just don't.

That's the one.
I don't know what its like on the other approach but the advanced signage on Gaz's shows that as a staggered T junction adding to the confusion and there is no visible deflection, all in all its a cr@p design.

OT, Our club run had to stop at a mini rab last night because it was too tight for some car driver so he stopped right in the middle. I had to laugh there was much beeping from the driver at an imaginary object that caused him to do it and his wife ? passenger seat looked rather sheepish.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops

I didn't quite catch what you said there, Gaz. Was it "I say, sir! Were you not cognisant of my presence at yonder roundabout, my dear chap?"?

Yes!

Every where that I have lived drivers seem to forget about the priority rules with Mini roundabouts.

Did you know there are several roundabouts in Norwich where the normal priority rules do not apply to car drivers? :laugh:

Ketts hill, The Heartease pub, either end of the flyover, Constitution hill/Woodcock road, Oak street/Drayton road, Earlhamroad/Bluebell road and Mile cross.

markharry66

Über Member
I deal with a local mini round about at the bottom of my road on a daily basis. I nearly always have to turn right on the lead up to the roundabout with some times less and ten yards I always get over taken, seems the rush to join the que is more important than road safety.
My approach is to hand signal all the way round it gets ignored I ride as slow as I can so I can give someone the excuse they can see me two lights on the front one on the back and bright yellow jacket is impossible to see.
I get regular horn blasts if I dare ride in the middle of the road to protect myself as far as I am concerned the majority of drivers who use the roundabout are fine its small minded dicks that think they own the road that arent

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
As a general rule of thumb dumb, the driver travelling in the straightest line will assume priority regardless of the legal priority. I think the logic goes ''I'm more or less going straight on so I more or less don't need to look to the side...or indicate...''

400bhp

Guru
I think mini roundabouts are crap. The turning circle of vehicles means that the term "round a bout" is an oxymoron.

Plus, the size of them makes "priority" a difficult one to call.

I nearly saw a little child get knocked over yesterday on a mini roundabout on a not too busy road. I the roundabout hadn't been there I'm not sure the same incident would have occured.

Top Bottom