Mini Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

F70100

Who, me ?
I decided mid afternoon that I would set off on a mini tour; flung some kit at my bike and set off to a local pub which has its own brewery and campsite. I do love the summer!

20150715-IMG_1552.jpg
20150715-IMG_1553.jpg
20150715-IMG_1554.jpg
20150716-IMG_1555.jpg
20150716-IMG_1556.jpg

So many places to go and so little time...

Matt-g

Hi just a couple of quick questions, as I'm considering a small starter trip myself...

What sleeping bag do you use?
What about a sleeping mat, which one?
Finally, which tent? (I'm 6' tall and struggle with a lot of backpacking tents)
How do you rate all of the above ?
Thanks in advance

OP
OP
F70100

F70100

Who, me ?
Hi just a couple of quick questions, as I'm considering a small starter trip myself...

What sleeping bag do you use?
What about a sleeping mat, which one?
Finally, which tent? (I'm 6' tall and struggle with a lot of backpacking tents)
How do you rate all of the above ?
Thanks in advance

Sleeping bag is a Vango Ultralite 600. (Widely available). Rated at a comfort temperature of +5; I first tried it at home on a night when the forecast was for a minimum temp of +5 but woke up cold at about 2am. I was using the sleeping mat (more below) but the bag was the only insulation around me (no jimjams for me :blush:). Decided to go back indoors and found a thin layer of frost on the outside of the tent... I'm happy with the bag - I don't really intend to use it in temperatures as low as this.

The sleeping mat I got is an Exped SynMat Ultralite 7. (I got mine from Facewest). I got the MW size (short and thick?). Very impressed with this. I chose the Exped rather than a Thermarest because I believe their argument that the longitudinal tube construction with slightly bigger outer tubes stops you rolling off it in the night. Seems to have worked so far. One thing I have struggled with is a satisfactory pillow. I have been using the sleeping bag stuff sack with my fleece inside it but it keeps slipping off the top of the mat. I've put a neck pillow (the ones folks use for sleeping in aeroplane seats) with my kit to try next time.

My tent is a Vango Banshee 200. I'm 5'8" (173cm) and the Banshee has a published inner length of 225cm. It's fine for me. The Banshee 300 is listed at 228cm. I'm currently in two minds as to whether I got the right tent (200 or 300). There's 0.5kgs difference but bags more room in the 300. For cycling (and motorcycling) the 300 would probably be better but I might use it for backpacking (West Highland Way, Cumbria Way etc) and I think I'll be glad not to have that extra half kilo then! Either way, I think Vango represent excellent value for money.

OP
OP
F70100

F70100

Who, me ?
What exactly is the bike?
Canondale what model?

Synapse Aluminium 105 (2014).

I'm not sure if it's entirely suitable for this sort of thing but it is the bike that I've got. It seemed stable enough with the weight on the back but I'm not sure sure it would stand up to an extended (2-3 weeks) tour.

I have done a week tour, just under 500km in B Twin Triban 3 road bike with 26 c tyres. It was in Portugal. But I only carry just about 8kg in a small overnight bag on a seat post luggage rack. I am too lazy to camp and find cheap b and b.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Chapeau!
I've done a couple of overnight tours, and in terms of bang-per-buck it's hard to beat them. Cheap b&b, pub meal and a few pints, and you've got a nice trip and still some weekend left. And you can get a bit further afield than you might in a day. :okay:

Its so nice to see a neat touring setup, so often you see peeps touring with stuff piled high in a cumbersome heap on the back rack. with no clue where anything has been stowed.

Top Bottom