Minoura Space Saver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Don't bother. Had mine for a couple of months now. I have some Electron rechargeable 5w and 10w lights which aren't that heavy. They were mounted on the space saver. Yesterday the space saver bit snapped right off! Not very robust. I presume as I go over a very uneven road surface at speed the vibration has gradually weakened the arm bit and it fell off. Rubbish I tell you!

rickangus

Über Member
Probably the biggest load of tosh I've ever bought.

Best thing is, it only cost me £10.

gavintc

Guru
Well, I bought one, It seemed a good idea - it just does not achieve what it sets out to do in a reasonably successful manner. The handlebar attachment is weak.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Mine's been fine with a Garmin 60CSx GPS, a Solidlight and a computer on (about 425g). No problem with it shifting on the bars or anything.
It did start to bend a bit when I added an extra 160g by replacing the Solidlight with a homemade LED light, so I reverted. Call it a 500g weight limit?

Noodley

andrew_s said:
Mine's been fine with a Garmin 60CSx GPS, a Solidlight and a computer on (about 425g). No problem with it shifting on the bars or anything.
It did start to bend a bit when I added an extra 160g by replacing the Solidlight with a homemade LED light, so I reverted. Call it a 500g weight limit?

That's an expensive amount of stuff that's gonna eventually hit the road :biggrin:
Don't say you weren't warned :biggrin:

Bodhbh

Guru
hrmm great, just ordered one to poke the front lights over the top of the barbag. Maybe can attach it to the barbag holder and tiewrap it around stem to take the weight.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
yello said:
I recall on a thread some months ago that the Minoura Space Grip was pretty much the winner of the 'pile of poo' award.

Ahh, yes, here we go...

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13514

Yep, absolute ****

The Swingrip

minoura%20swing%20grip.jpg

The SpaceGrip

minoura%20sg2%2003.jpg

The latter is fine, the former is awful.

I have used SpaceGrips on my bikes for the alst 8 years and have never had a problem.

My first one was fitted on the Trice, and then moved to the Birdy and is now on the Airnimal. It has never spipped, failed or even come loose!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
That's an expensive amount of stuff that's gonna eventually hit the road ;)
Don't say you weren't warned ;)

The GPS is attached to the bars by the lanyard, and the solidlight cable is zip-tied to the brake cables, so nothing's going to get as far down as the wheel.
The GPS did need it's lanyard on one occasion when the mounting cradle broke.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Cunobelin said:
The Swingrip

minoura%20swing%20grip.jpg

The SpaceGrip

minoura%20sg2%2003.jpg

The latter is fine, the former is awful.

I have used SpaceGrips on my bikes for the alst 8 years and have never had a problem.

My first one was fitted on the Trice, and then moved to the Birdy and is now on the Airnimal. It has never spipped, failed or even come loose!

Poo, if only you'd posted this several months ago! :ohmy:

I had the swing grip. Don't get one boys and girls!

wafflycat

I've got two Minoura Space Bars. One on my tourer for holding two Cateye 530s and one on my recumbent - again for the lights. Had them several years and have abosultely no problems with either of them.

Top Bottom