Mirror(s) - how to fit to SMGT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
SMGT ??
I did a google -SMGT Servicing Mission Ground Test (NASA)
still non the wiser

byegad

Legendary Member
ICE make an adaptor (to clamp onto the bar under the brake) to which you can fit a mirror. I bought some with a long arm, like old fashioned motorbike mirrors for my Kettwiesel.

I have always used twist grips and "Mirrycle" plugin mirrors on the ends.

Otherwise as above, a "cut down" bar end provides support for the same mirror.

The final alternative is to use the "long neck" cycle star mounted on the bar below the brakes

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I have bar end shifters on the furai. Hang about and I'll take a pic. Long stem mirror is the way to go. Plenty of 'tap it as you go to adjust' whereas the smaller stem ones seem to exaggerate the smallest knock into a wild misalignment.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
No idea if this'll work. Attempting to do it all from a blackberry.
Pic (if showing) is a B&M long stem mirror, mounted below the bar grip.

3579395150_9e87e10a64.jpg

TimP

If you can live without being able to lean the bike up on opne side the Blackburn straight bar mirror can be attached to the horizontal part of the handlebars such that the mirror sticks out the side.

I used to have one of these on my SMGT (with bar-end shifters) until I dropped the bike on that side. Apparently a plastic mirror can't cope with the weight of all 53 tonnes of German engineering landing on it.

Otherwise I have seen bodged arrangements using a dentists convex mirror with a jury rigged mount upon the arm of a pair of glasses. Helmet mirrors are also a possibility if you happen to wear a helmet on the SMGT.

Number14

Guru
I've got a SMGT with bar end shifters as well and I use a BM mirror under the brake lever. PM me and I'll send you a photo of it.

Subflux

I use a helmet mounted mirror and love it. I know it's not technnically how to mount a mirror on the SMGT, but it's how I use a mirror on my SMGT. :smile:

derall

Guru
Probably won't show up too well, but it's the only photo I have to hand.

Just below the brake levers I have fitted MTB bar-ends (X-lite stubbies), and fitted bar-end mirrors in the ends of those. The bar-ends are also useful mounting points for the computer and Air-zound

SMGT_faired_01.jpg

Top Bottom