Mischievous Elf on the shelf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I fear it is just another US import designed to extract that extra bit of cash from you.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I agree and can't see the point of it all either .
Granddaughter was explaining what other children's elf's had done last night and boy some parents have no imagination whilst others have too much time
I don't want to diminish anyone else's enjoyment of the festive season but it's a reminder that some parents live in a completely different reality to me.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My eldest does it for our granddaughter. In her version she has to find the "naughty" elf in the room where something, (I don't know what) has been sprinkled on the floor. As said upthread, a rod for her own back, but some of the things we did for our girls at Christmas were too, But at least they were not a daily thing.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Whatever happened to Christmas starting on Christmas eve, next morning orange in a sock, one big present, nan smashed by lunchtime, roast dinner and relax. Now it has a three month lead up to spend far beyond many people's means, faux Xmas plastic tat and cheer, same set of ads to remember those less fortunate then spend crazy again for kitchens and holidays. Very sad really.

Julia9054

Guru
So glad I missed out on this trend. My younger colleagues moan about it constantly!

Trickedem

Guru
Our grandson stayed over last weekend. He loves his naughty elf, so Mrs Trickedem did this. I think his parents weren't that impressed, as they were hoping to build it up gradually (i.e. do very little until Christmas day) It was definitely worth it, seeing how excited he was in the morning.
1639076892215.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My brother and Sister in Law are really building it up - still got 16 days to go, poor kid is going to be far too exited. 3am get up Christmas Day ?

Top Bottom