Mixed car & bike commute from Sussex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pgd

Pgd

Veteran
Thanks everyone! I feel like maybe I've been unclear and it sounds more impressive than it really is, but I'll take it ^_^

That's good progress. 30 miles each way is a big chunk of time out of the day on a bike. Realistically, it's a good two hours riding plus getting changed at each end - adds 5 hours to the day. What's your options for 'poor weather' ?
So just to clarify, as in my OP, it's a mixed-mode car & cycle commute over 30 miles, once a week. I only currently cycle 11 miles each way, so over that distance weather isn't really a problem. But there's always the train if I really don't fancy it. But like I say, I do fancy giving the full 30 miles a go in the summer!

What does it save you in cost each day ?
Return train ticket ~£30. Don't know how accurate those online cost-of-motoring calculators are, but they reckon < £10. So a good saving. (Plus cost of bike consumables, of course; but I'd be cycling for leisure anyway, so I don't really count that)

How are you finding it and what is your daily ride now?
So after a bit of experimentation I've settled on a parking spot that takes ~55mins to drive to, and from which it's an 11 mile / 50 min cycle. To be honest, my comment about the surprising consistency of travel time was in relation to the driving part -- I'm well aware of the general awesomeness of cycle commuting ^_^. But yeah -- even though it's mixed-mode, at rush hour, it's predictably ~1hr drive, ~1hr cycle/showering/etc. So far...

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Its amazing how easy the bad times on a cycle commute are quickly forgotten about.
Absolutely; I think possibly because the underpinning reasons are very different..

Assuming I don't get crushed under a bus, a bad day on the bike will be because of weather / punctures / fatigue. All of which are natural, unavoidable things that happen and just have to be endured / dealt with.

A bad day on the car however it seems could be largely avoidable and in many ways can be blamed entirely on people - myself included when I'm stuck in traffic contributing to the problem.

Problems on the bike are irritating but as you say quickly forgotten. Problems in the car elicit immediate feeling of rage, guilt for being part of it and later sadness that this is the default state of the world we're all forced to endure.. when it could be so much better if people weren't such unthinking, selfish, subserviant, consumptive scumbags.

I'd 100% reached the end of my tether by the time I started on the bike and tbh the car journey was horrific enough in the summer; I don't think I'd have made it through the winter under the same circumstances.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thinking aloud, OP, I wonder if train and folding bike would be another option?

That might offer some benefits in terms of avoiding car use and parking completely.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thinking aloud, OP, I wonder if train and folding bike would be another option?

That might offer some benefits in terms of avoiding car use and parking completely.

I'd suggest the car still trumps the train on convenience / cost / reliability / time unless traffic is a significant problem..

Top Bottom