Mixing fertilisers - container suggestions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A bit of a basic or noob question, but what do you use for mixing and storing fertiliser used for small batches like houseplants?

I have a very modest cacti collection and this year I'm looking at caring for them a bit better. I've repotted a few into cacti and succulent compost, more free draining. Now I'm looking at fertiliser. I've got a cacti concentrate fertiliser I need to dilute, half capful per litre. So I'll not use the full litre but need to store it for the next feed. What would you suggest for a container I can seal but also measure out the water easily for mixing? I'm thinking of a suitable litre capacity with markings and a lid for sealing it when finished with feeding my plants.

Stupid question as a cheap drinks bottle would do but I'm thinking something that won't get confused with our numerous actual drinking bottles. I don't think a litre watering can would do because it cannot be sealed but a drinks bottle might get confused so doesn't suit neither.

stephec

Legendary Member
I use a plastic supermarket type milk bottle, store it under the sink and make it obviously not milk.

tom73

Guru
It won't keep like any liquid fertiliser once it's made up it has a limited shelf life. As the chemicals break down over time it will still be safe to use but it's nutritional value will be a lot less. Even the concentrate has a limited life. The dripper type feeders or stick type that go into the pots are best if you don't need a lot of fertiliser.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mix a quarter cupful to half liter of water?
Or mix the full liter, discard the extra?
I wouldn't keep chemicals in food stuff containers, especially inside the house, would be different in a shed or garage - if you don't have kids about.
Like @tom73 said up thread, the mixed stuff doesn't last as long as the concentrate.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I think in the sunny months of May and June I'll probably fertilise out every other week. It should be good enough after 2 weeks from mixing. Certainly better than not using fertiliser. I've got at least one that should flower so I giving a good feed to try for some this year. Last year without much feed just new compost some really took off. One doubled in height! Really grew fast for a supposedly slow growing plant.

Top Bottom