Mobile rescue service for cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fb_ldnsw1

I managed to break the key while trying to unlock my bicycle, at the moment safely attached to a ring in the wall outside my local supermarket...

Any idea of whom I could call to come to the rescue? The AA? :biggrin:

I remember seeing something about a company who would come and fix a flat tyre. But I can't find them anymore to ask if they would come and presumabely break the lock to set my bike free.

Thanks in advance for any tip or experience of the same problem!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

OP
OP
F

fb_ldnsw1

@marinyork: thanks, that was quick! So the AA might be an idea...

@domtyler: well, I have the broken key (along with 3 spare!)... and I now found the invoice, yes!

OP
OP
F

fb_ldnsw1

Key broken in lock solved

I went back there (with the invoice and the spare keys!) and tried to remove the broken bit of the key with Blutack, but it didn't work. Then I asked a security guard of the supermarket, and he managed to do it with a pincer, so everything is fine.

I also spoke to a police officer who said they would come and break the lock for me if necessary.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The link above leads indirectly to:
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3488

It's not clear what the deal is, exactly. If I break down during the day and there's a train station 1 mile away and a bike shop 5 miles away, do they take me to the nearer of the two, or can I tell them I want the bike shop?

If they take me to a train station, do they stay and check I will actually be allowed on the train with my bike, or do they just dump me there and call it job done?

If it's late and there are no more trains, do they take me to a B&B and then leave me there, or can I get the bike recovered to a bike shop the next day?

Anyone asked them these sorts of questions? (As I'm guessing they'll be no-one there to answer the phone at this time.)

Ben

Willow

I decided against recovery as thought most likely scenario was a puncture which isn't covered or I'd be in the middle of a track somewhere which by the time I'd got a phone signal I'd probably be home.

I used to belong to the ETA many years ago, and they rescued me but it was quite funny !

I had someone superglue my padlock on the Trice(*) and called the ETA to help.

Big Service Vehicle arrives and guy checke membership etc, then angle grinds lock - sorted

Until the paperwork which is totally Car-centric.... Manual or automatic, engine size, etc.- no end of problems sorting it out

(*) Old thieves trick, the idea is you now have to leave bike and get tools hence away for some time - in the meanwhile they come back and remove lock using tools - if someone queries - simply point out that someone has superglued your lock and you are trying to open it thus allaying suspicion.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A broken off key should still work as the stub should turn the barrel if the remainder is still inside!

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
could have done with recovery lasst night, would have saved me a 20Km walk/jog home after a sidewall tyre faliure on my commute. Patched it for a bit with a boot made of an old innertube but the gash was too big. Very sore today from the walk/jog.......

Top Bottom