Modifying a Kentex trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Hello all, at the moment I'm in the process of modifying a Kentex 20" trike and could do with some expert knowledge... But all the local bike shops are shut so I suppose this place will have to do. (Don't worry, I'm joking)

Anyway, I can't get a huge amount of speed up on the trike at the moment. I'm starting it in 5th gear, and within 100yds or so run out of acceleration and level out in 6th, as such I'm after a new front chainring (currently I have a 36T) and moving the old one to the back, so I can have a bit more power on the longer straights. Unfortunately I have no idea what sizing the front chainring is or what fittings it uses, I know it's a 58mm hole, the same as the rear chainring so the old-front chainring will transfer over without much issue, but as I can't see the bolts I have no idea what fitting I'll need, so does anyone know off-hand the bolt measurements?

Diagram of what I'm after: (50t is what I hope for, I might get a bigger ring if I can get hold of one, or get one milled)
jaynsx.jpg

The other thing is I'm looking to fit thicker rear tyres on the bike, so I can actually go around corners at speed without killing myself and every other road user in a 20 yard radius, I know it sounds a bit like a stupid question but does anyone know if I can take the rear wheels off, put something thicker on (thinking some smaller car wheels or quad bike wheels, I can get adaptors C+C'd) and it'll still run fine? I know it'll be a great deal heavier, but I love a challenge, and it means I use the entire gear range rather than just the top two gears

Any help would be greatly appreciated =]

Thanks in advance
Sean

Top Bottom