Montague Paratrooper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
My reviews will generally be aimed at the Emergency Services community, however it probably crosses over into the commuting community too!
Vike

Background

Montague Corporation developed the Paratrooper Mountain Bike in conjunction with the United States Defence advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to bridge an important gap between walking infantry and heavy military vehicles like The Hum Vee or other army trucks. Montague Corporation pioneered Folding Integrated Technology (FIT), deemed to be one of the next-generation trends in the bicycle industry. DARPA, the Pentagon-based agency, recognized the importance of this folding technology for military use and so funded the development of a bicycle that could be used by US Marines, Paratroopers, Military Police, Rangers, Police and other Military divisions.

The bike has developed into civilian models and the Swiss Bike brand.

Findings

Montague UK kindly supplied the constabulary with a Cammo Green Montague Paratrooper. The bike came folded in its’ box with the front wheel off and the mudguards and bike rack requiring fitting. This was a 5 minute job straight out of the box.

The bike is immediately distinguishable from the normal “Double Triangle” Framed mountain bikes because of its Single thick Cross bar and rear triangle.
Assembling the bike was a simple affair with 4 quick release catches to be checked and tightened. Both wheels, saddle and the all important QR for the folding mechanism. Safety checks complete it was out for the first ride.
Once on the bike everything fell immediately to hand on the bars. Although narrower and flatter than I was used to. The front end felt lively and light, very simply it went where you pointed it. The front suspension absorbed the bumps on road and cycle path and I had no problems with the bike when subjecting it to light off road use. The saddle supplied was extremely comfortable and even when spending 4 or 5 hours on constant patrol.

Everywhere I took the Paratrooper it became the focus of attention. It enabled me to engage with some youths who would generally avoid any form of conversation. I ended up demonstrating the ability to fold the bike on several occasions.

Portability is the name of the game for this bike. The ability to quickly drop out the front wheel, fold the bike in half and then transport it to another area is its forte. My first call out on the bike ended in an arrest. Normally this would entail handing over the Detained Person to another officer, then cycling to custody which can take anywhere between 10 minutes and half an hour for me depending on where I am. On this occasion I folded the bike up and dropped it into the back of a Ford Transit Connect. This would not have been possible with a normal bike, even with the front wheel off.

The portability of these bikes would be ideally suited to PCSOs and NPT officers in rural areas or areas that are a fair distance off from their home station. It would enable them to transport their bikes, be dropped off and patrol their areas. They could be then be picked up at the end of the shift and returned.

Recommendations

Swiss Bike LX. This model is £50 more expensive than the Paratrooper however it is equipped with Shimano LX gears, high rise bars to aid comfort and is supplied in a matt Black finish which would only need the application of “POLICE” transfers. The replacement of the large off road tyres to more suitable semi-slick urban puncture proof tyres would also be recommended.

At £575 for the Paratrooper (£625 for the Swiss Bike LX) there are much better equipped “normal” mountain bikes available on the market for the same price. However with exception of the Dahon Cadenza 8 there is no other competitor on the market at this time for this style of bike.

Conclusion

The bike is very well designed and robust enough to carry out daily patrol duties. Compared to other bikes of a similar equipment specification it is expensive. However you are paying for the design and engineering of the frame and its portability. As parts wear out they could be replaced by higher quality and more robust equipment.

The bike is ideally suited to officers who will patrol in rural areas. However there is also a case for all NPT officers and PCSO’s to be issued with this bike as, once folded (and preferably placed in its bag) it will even fit onto the back seat of a Ford Focus. It would also make a good robust commuter bike!

Top Bottom