More dynamo light help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
The "R" and "N" refer to the beam patterns. The Cyo N focuses the light further ahead on the road with little light immediately in front of the bike, the R version puts some of the light in the 1-4 meter range in front of the bike, which gives you a larger illuminated area at the cost of reduced peak brightness (40 lux instead of 60 lux). The R light also has a built in reflector. "Senso" means you have the option to set the switch to automatic, which means the light comes on automatically when the ambient light goes below a certain level (In practice I find it tends to be overly pessimistic, so I just use the manual switch). The "plus" means that it has a standlight, so it will stay lit for a good few minutes when you stop.

To summarise:

R and N refer to beam patterns, spread out (R) or concentrated further ahead (N).
Senso: Automatic lighting mode available.
Plus: Standlight facility.

Camrider

The newer Cyo senso models have 2 additional LEDs for daylight riding. In auto mode the light is on all the time with the power automatically distributed between daylight and night LEDs depending on ambient lighting conditions. I have the older version on one bike and the newer one on my other. I actually should swap them round as I have the new one on my touring / audax bike where the daylight LEDs are not that useful so switch it manually. Would leave it in auto on the other bike for urban riding.

ushills

Veteran
Don't bother with the N type, the near field illumination is okay with the ordinary one and you get brighter light further ahead, great for country lanes.

I got mine from rosebikes for around£45, went for the one with the daytime running lights and standlight, perfect for letting drivers know you are there in the day if they are unobservant.

ushills

Veteran
Went for the 60lux version, you get a decent beam spread unless you look right down at your wheel, which is not a good idea when travelling a speed in the dark.

You can comfortably travel at 15-20mph with the 60, probably more depending on conditions.

Top Bottom