More than Sum of >>>>> salvage 406 36hole BMX rim rebuilt into SturmeyArcher for Dawes Folding Kingpin :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LardAbove

As elsewhere, in Folders....

From stock (5/21) to modded (6/22)

..... I like it πŸ˜‹πŸ‘Œ

LardAbove 🚴

Attachments

• Bike as Bought May21.jpg
    Bike as Bought May21.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220707_173726.jpg
    IMG_20220707_173726.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 3

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
@LardAbove this section is meant to illustrate the progress, challenges, mechanics in a bike related project, build, modification.
Could you perhaps elaborate for our members? ^_^

OP
OP
LardAbove

LardAbove

Hmm.... To 'elaborate on a challenge encountered, during the build, with illustration'.
To begin with, I know nothing of bikes...

I'm an engineering fitter, so, can sketch up/fabricate/modify some items, to achieve my goals.

I discovered, when reading about the Kingpin (on this forum) that 'the bean counters' had reduced the spoke count [... long ago] from 36 to 28. Consequently, 28 spoke wheels were subject to collapse 😡.

Worried about this (my being a stout, 'Lardy' guy) I searched eBay to source Kingpin 36 spoke rear wheel. Unsurprisingly without success!

I decided to build a 36spoke SturmeyArcher 'from scratch' >>> No Pressure 😱.

I got all the components, some new [spokes] some s/h [rim & hub], from eBay. The spoke spanner I made myself!

Plenty of 'how to' wheel build YouTubes, but I had no special set-up for building & trueing a wheel assembly.
The YouTubers gave tips and hints and suggested using your own bikes forks as a handy 'set up' option, my bike lives in the back of our kitchen and wasn't something I could wrestle with easily.

I decided to build a lightweight, easily handled 'fork frame' >>> using MDF, alloy bracket and cut down gazebo poles πŸ‘

My spokes were too thick for the alloy BMX rim and SA hub..... I drilled them out to suit.

I really enjoyed building the wheel, spent an hour tweaking out 'eccentricity/wobble' and my frame was superb, see pictures showing it opened up so I could secure the spindle = saved cutting fork slots!

I have no fear of a wheel collapse and my being pitched under a bus....

Thanks for looking.

LardAbove 🚴

Attachments

• IMG_20220624_073639.jpg
    IMG_20220624_073639.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220624_073517.jpg
    IMG_20220624_073517.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220313_221746.jpg
    IMG_20220313_221746.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 6

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thank you for that @LardAbove.
Great result!
Now, what about changing the title for something more descriptive, so Google can find it?
Somebody out there could be searching for a modification like yours as I type! :biggrin:

OP
OP
LardAbove

LardAbove

I thought long and hard, before constructing that Thread Title..... Couldn't think of one more appropriate 🎱
#However... For the 'hive mind' >>>>> πŸ˜‰πŸ₯‚

LardAbove 🚴

D

Deleted member 1258

As elsewhere, in Folders....

From stock (5/21) to modded (6/22)

..... I like it πŸ˜‹πŸ‘Œ

LardAbove 🚴

in the second picture it looks like there is too much stem showing.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I assume those are the normal Weinmann brake calipers with some kind of dropper plate so they can reach the 406 rims?

I went the other way on mine - from 440 steel to 451 alloy rims and, like you, it was my first wheel build and it all went pleasingly well. Alloy rims and dual-pivot brake up-front and it stops with the best of them now!

OP
OP
LardAbove

LardAbove

Yes.... Stem exposure is 'extreme' but it is actually a suck & see exercise >>> I'm trial riding at various heights (no less than 2 1/2" in clamp) because if I decide on "nose bleed" high I shall purchase Apes πŸ˜‰πŸ‘. The stem is a length of S/S 22.2mm tube [off eBay].

LardAbove 🚴

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes.... Stem exposure is 'extreme' but it is actually a suck & see exercise >>> I'm trial riding at various heights (no less than 2 1/2" in clamp) because if I decide on "nose bleed" high I shall purchase Apes πŸ˜‰πŸ‘. The stem is a length of S/S 22.2mm tube [off eBay].

LardAbove 🚴

Is there a minimum insertion mark on the stem? how close are you to it? I had a Kingpin in the early 1960's and broke the stem due to having it too high.

Top Bottom