More winter scenery with no bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As we couldn't get out cycling at the weekend, we went up to the in laws in the dark peak and went walking on the moors of the upper derwent valley.

The other half took some pretty spectacular photos of what was an exhausting and incredibly scenic 4 hour walk. Pics are here

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lovely pics Kirstie. Derwent Valley pic is stunning. Jays, they look very pretty but are complete b*sta*rds. We had one in our gardens that used to take great delight in catching the Sparrows, tearing them apart and having a nice lunch.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nice pics - you can't beat winter walks can you? I'd have been concerned about that drift in the very last pic sliding off down the hill. We skinned up a Howgill on Sunday then skied down, the wind was terrible on top and made stowing the climbing skins a nightmare. Found a perfect igloo half way for lunch though.

Rigid Raider said:
Nice pics - you can't beat winter walks can you? I'd have been concerned about that drift in the very last pic sliding off down the hill. We skinned up a Howgill on Sunday then skied down, the wind was terrible on top and made stowing the climbing skins a nightmare. Found a perfect igloo half way for lunch though.

Thanks everyone.

We sheltered in a grouse butt for our coffee and chocolate break. We saw a few skiers out, but they were mostly towing each other off the back of cars up derwent lane :smile:

We didn't venture right onto that drift. My feet were touching the grass where I was walking so it was OK there. It's a fairly precipitous slope at the best of times.

P.H

Über Member
It's already been said, but they are stunning. I've always thought I'd love winter walking, but the one time I tryed it I was miserable, so not for me, then I see your photos and...

P.H said:
It's already been said, but they are stunning. I've always thought I'd love winter walking, but the one time I tryed it I was miserable, so not for me, then I see your photos and...

Well it was absolutely freezing with a strong icy easterly blowing - well in the minuses. The going was exhaustingly difficult. Walking on deep snow is like walking up very big steps but not knowing where your foot will land. One bad step and you could have twisted your ankle or knee, or worse still, broken your leg. I was very glad of my walking pole!

When I got back I sat under a blanket and on a hot water bottle for 6 hours before I felt comfortable! We were all absoutely knackered and went to bed very early. We had only walked 4 miles in the same amount of hours!

I think I ticked 'be a polar explorer' off my 'to do' list after last weekend!

P.H

Über Member
Ha, and you look like you're having so much fun!
I think I'll stick to admiring other peoples photos.

Top Bottom