Most comfortable ladies hybrid saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a_nic_an

Hi all;
My wife has a Ridgeback hybrid bike but finds the saddle very uncomfortable. She uses it for country lane riding and the odd cycle path.
Has anyone any suggestions about what she might find most comfortable, at the moment it is putter her off using the bike.
Thanks;
Nic

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmm hard to say. I get on well with a bontrager wsd. Also the selle Italia diva gel but that's £60. Saddles are very individual

What padded shorts does she use?

Globalti

Legendary Member
What a question! There's so much to consider. Firstly, as asked above, is she wearing padded cycling shorts next to the skin, even if only a padded undershort under "normal" clothing?

You need to look at saddle height and angle, distance from the bars, bar height and weight distribution and width of the actual saddle. Specialized make great play of measuring cyclists' sit bones and fitting them with the right width of saddle. You have to go to a Specialized Concept Store or dealer for that.

You can buy some hideously fat padded saddles aimed at women but I think 99% of the cyclists on here will advise you that they are not the answer; the rider will sink into the padding and then get chafing in areas of soft skin. You need something that's the right shape and reasonably firm.

For a male bottom the Charge Spoon and Knife saddles are good because they cradle the sit bones nicely when set at the correct angle. Have a look at the women's version, Charge Ladle.

OP
OP
A

a_nic_an

Hi;
Thanks both for your replies.
My wife doesn't have any padded shorts at the moment but it would make sense to get her some. She doesn't use the bike regularly so her bum isn't going to toughen up to the saddle and I suspect that it is this irregular use that is half the problem.
I'll get her to go into the LBS where we got the bike to see if they can have a look at how it is set up to ensure that it is right.
Thanks again;

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Some women like saddles with cut outs, others can't bear them (myself included) so it's extremely subjective. What we can mostly agree on is the benefit of the bike being set up properly, a saddle whose width and shape matches the seat bones, and padded shorts instead of knickers.

Top Bottom