Motivation ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

kimz

oh thanks everyone i will start my longer rides next month and keep uping the rides see how i feel

you've all cheered me up : )

zacklaws

Guru
Also forgot to add in my earlier post, if you take any tools with you make sure that they are up to the job and will not let you down miles from anywhere, that big shiny multitool from poundstretcher etc that you see, buy and put in your saddlebag and leave for the day its needed may bend or drop to bits come the day its needed.

Whenever I do minor repairs and alterations to my bike, provided it is not the major components which need the big spanners etc, I always use my multitool that I carry in my bag to do the jobs with, then I know that out on the road I have confidence in it and also that it has the correct tools to fit my bike. Likewise tyre levers, use them at home first, no good them snapping the first time you use them out on the road and if you change tyres to possibly a tighter fit, once again fit them with the same levers. Many, many years ago, my tyre levers let me down, but I was lucky, in the gateway where I had stopped was some 6 inch nails, half hanging out of the rotting gate which I pulled out and used carefully, I was surprised though that I never ripped my innertube and made the problem worse.

It is having confidence in your equipment that can help make the longer rides the less stressfull by cutting out the worry of disasters, its a terrible thing miles from home wondering about breakdowns etc and if you can cope, especially on your own.

shippers

I'd just like to point out that Zack is clearly quite, quite mad. Averaging over 18mph for 24 hours? Good luck with that one mate!

OP- as everyone else is sating, you'll be fine. If you can do 30 now, you can do 40 tomorrow and 45 to 50 next weekend shouldn't be a problem.

Cycling isn't like running- there's no impact so it's easier to build up the distance. You'll find yourself at the start line with Zack if you're not careful.

zacklaws

Guru
shippers said:
Averaging over 18mph for 24 hours?
OP- as everyone else is sating, you'll be fine. If you can do 30 now, you can do 40 tomorrow and 45 to 50 next weekend shouldn't be a problem.

You'll find yourself at the start line with Zack if you're not careful.

I don't think I can possibly do it either, no way, but it is mad things which can keep you going, and its not the start line that counts but the finishing line, no matter what happens, is were the satisfaction is the reward which motivates you to do more.

I believe inside of us we all have an ambition to explore, some of us, like me cannot afford to go to strange lands etc so I find that by looking at some place on a map or a reason to go somewhere for a look is enough to motivate me to get on the bike and go for it regardless of the insanity of the idea.

To bring a bit of sanity to things that I do, I have a set of simple maps with circles drawn around my home location, all at different mileages from 10 miles up to 50 miles, so with a quick consultation of the right map to the area I want to cycle too and a time appreciation of daylight remaining along with a reasonable average speed I know I can acheive, I know if I can do a mere 20 miler up to a 100 miler, there and back.

In fact I need to make some more maps with range circles up to at least 100 miles.

HobbesChoice

kimz said:
oh thanks everyone i will start my longer rides next month and keep uping the rides see how i feel

you've all cheered me up : )

Hi Kimz,

I'm all signed up and paid for this ride! My cycling isn't particularly fast and I only get in around 36 miles a day at the very most on my commute so weekend miles are going to need to start with a vengeance soon. Leg exercises in the gym will help too.

There's more than enough time to get the training in but, for me, as long as I'm well hydrated, have enough food and am well lubed up on the tops of my legs with plenty of padding then I'm not in the least bit worried about it. I'm doing it for the experience and I'll get that no matter what happens! :smile:

Will hopefully see you there.

Top Bottom