Mountain bike maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macka09

Hi guys, myself and the family have all had new Carrera bikes recently and I’ve noticed my bike is really making some awful noises when I put a decent amount of pressure on the pedals. At first I thought it was the seat but I’ve ruled that out. Is it worth me stripping the crank and cleaning/re greasing it all? If so, what grease would you recommend? We’ve only used them a handful times so I’m a bit annoyed with it to be honest. The pedal slipped on me the other day and I honestly thought the chain had snapped, it happened so quick. Any advice would be great, thanks.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
If by recently you mean within the last year you should book into where you bought it for a warranty repair

Reactions: C R

Big John

Guru
You'll get numerous suggestions, I'm sure, but even though I fix all my own bikes I'd be taking yours back to where I bought it. It must still be under warranty, yes? Let them fix it at their expense. If they'd given it a proper check before they handed it over you probably wouldn't be having the problems you're have now. I'll not comment on Halfords because my guess is the comments will shortly come streaming in because they haven't got a great reputation. Thats not to say the bikes aren't good - it's just the service side that seems to be lacking.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm, how long have you had it and how 'mucky' has it got.

I clean mine every ride and clean out the drive chain, and wipe it all down. Lithium Grease is fine. If it's under warranty, give it a clean, then drop it in the shop.

My mate has his own repair business, and the state of the bikes he get's given makes me (and him) weep. He's got to spend an age cleaning them up first.

Jody

Stubborn git
What kind of noise is it? Assuming you have gone round all the drive train to make sure nothing has worked it's way loose?

Given how new the bikes are they probably need a little adjustment on the mech, especially as you said it slipped on you under load. The free 6 week check and adjust service should sort it if you take it back to the shop.

OP
OP
M

macka09

Thanks for the replies folks. I’ve booked it in for tomorrow morning for a health check. Hopefully the warranty covers any issues. I’ve only used it twice whilst out on my own and it’s not even been off road yet. Maybe 5hrs worth of use so far.

Top Bottom