Mountain Bike Orienteering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Mrs TB will be there.

It should be an excellent event.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Well . . . Trailquest is a version of MTBO, but with in that, the points can be visited in any order. In this version, the course order is the same for everyone with the only variation being any alternative route each rider might choose between the control points. The map is detailed enough to make that choice by looking at terrain and ride-ability.

So what you have is a time trial race (ie everyone starts at discreet intervals) and the person who rides around the course is the fastest time is the winner. It differs from ordinary mtb cross country racing by virtue of not having a mass start and not all being corralled along the same de-marked route.

But the appeal (and I am relaying this to you secondhand) is that you have all the fun of 90 minute cross country races, but with the self discipline of it as a TT as opposed to pack racing, together with the added challenge of navigating between the points.

It's the combination of the two disciplines of navigation and riding that appeals to Mrs TB. You have to train each separately and then bring them together.
It also increases the scope for buying equipment and shoes (my observation).

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I see. So it's decision making, time pressure and insane amounts of physical effort. 's probably why I don't like it... :whistle:

Don't worry. I agree with you.
I did say it was Mrs TB who will be going.
Three days after she gets back from a competition in Sweden.

Some people eh?

Top Bottom