Mountain Bike to Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wrinkly Len

Regular
I’m thinking of converting my Mountain Bike to a Road Bike. The straight bars and gearing seem to be more suited to the cycling I’m going to do in the future and the bike feels more comfy than my tourer. I opt to go round mountains these days. Can anyone suggest a good make of tyre (26inch) to use, as a road or gravel path bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
These get good press for using a MTB on road, pretty cheap too in black guise
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...walbe-land-cruiser-bike-tyre-26in-486166.html

Something around 1.5 like the Maxxis work well, but I’m using some 1.2 slicks from Decathlon which are really quick on the road.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/resist-9-slick-mountain-bike-tyre-26x12-id_8361401.html
Those Decathlon tyres look good, light as well! Might just try a set of those.

battered

Guru
Those Vittoria tyres at £7.99 each are a steal. Slick enough and with a bit of tread for any towpaths etc. If I didn't have a fleet of 26" tyres I'd buy them like a shot.

D

Deleted member 23692

I had road cruisers on m old Cube Hyde Race. Horrid draggy tyres and best avoided IMO. Swapped them over to super swift Vittoria Voyager Hypers and the difference is like night and day.

Road cruisers are great if you want to get fit and enjoy resistance training though :laugh:.

Drago

Legendary Member
TBH, CityJets roll very well on the road and are fine on hardpack and gravel. Of course, theyre dire on the gravel in the wet, but so is everthing else.

Decide what the bikes prime use will be and set it up for that. Better to have at good at something, than mediocre at everything.

Venod

Eh up
Another approach, if you are using smaller tyres could you use bigger wheels with more tyre choice ? I ran 700c wheels on a Cannondale MTB that was built for 26 " with big tyres, I ran 30mm tyres, you have to have disc brakes to make this work easily.

Top Bottom