MTB axle problem...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
My close-to-a-coronary mate's MTB is proving to be the gift that keeps on giving..

It needs a new cassette so I sorted him out with one and rode over there with tools to fit it at the weekend.. only to remember when 90% there that I'd forgotten to tool required to hold the cassette during removal. This became irrelevant upon arrival however, as my cassette lockring tool wasn't deep enough to go over the nuts on the axle..

The wheel is now in my possession and I'd planned to strip the axle out, clean and re-grease the bearings and replace the cassette. FIrst thing noticed when about to get stuck in was the lack of axle..

Half-arsed-measuring confirms the space between the locknuts as around 135mm (so correct for an 8sp+ MTB) however the NDS only has around 4.5mm axle protrusion beyond the nut; the DS has basically none and looks like it's been worn / machined off.. how he managed to ride this without ruining himself I'll never know..

12x8_IMG_7389a.jpg

12x8_IMG_7387a.jpg

Of course nowt's ever simple and in addition to the other bits it clearly needs a new axle. The hub is a Shimano FHM475, however I suspect any QR axle of the correct length should fit assuming I can source one. Can anyone tell me the correct length please? I'm guessing ballpark 145-148mm maybe. Any other pointers also most welcome, ta :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_7387a.jpg
    IMG_7387a.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ebay the samehub and canibalise it. Cheapest option.

Jody

Stubborn git
I can't offer guidance on the axle width but have to say I'm impressed with however they have worn the NDS

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Ebay the samehub and canibalise it. Cheapest option.

Thanks - seems a shame but the economy plays out to an extent.. complete hubs ballpark £30, axle assy on ebay from Germany - around a tenner but double that on top for postage :sad:

Dirty Amazon have the axles but they're £20-odd.. from the image it literally looks like a bit of threaded bar with a hole through the middle, so if the correct length I suspect some cheapo Chinese generic tat would do the job.. providing the cheese it's made from's not too soft..

I can't offer guidance on the axle width but have to say I'm impressed with however they have worn the NDS

Yeah, not sure how that's happened (not what state the frame's in tbh!). Suffice to say it's not a result of the thousands of miles covered in my mate's ownership..

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Seems generic 145mm axles are available on ebay for £6-10.. so this is probably the way to go. Assuming the bearing cups and nuts from the original are in good nick I can just use these. Maybe I can even blag the old bits to lash into the DIY RD alignment tool I'll never make..

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Ah yes, in which case, he can buy at same price

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/d2o-rear-hollow-10-mm-axle-145-mm/

Hope he’s repaying you with a few pints.

Nice one, thanks - did't spot that!

Mate's typically generious and hospitable while I'm typically not... so I guess this is appropriate payment in kind :tongue:

EDIT: Plus it's also in my own selfish self-interest as I have few enough mates as it is, without those I do have keeling over at 55 from heart disease or diabetes..

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Before procuring a replacement axle, I counsel a careful measurement to confirm the OLD - I say this because of the "half-arsed-measuring confirms" phrase in the OP. The axle itself must be >6mm and <12mm more than the OLD (otherwise the QR won't secure properly/at all).

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Before procuring a replacement axle, I counsel a careful measurement to confirm the OLD - I say this because of the "half-arsed-measuring confirms" phrase in the OP. The axle itself must be >6mm and <12mm more than the OLD (otherwise the QR won't secure properly/at all).

Thanks - it's an old MTB with a 9sp cassette on a freehub and best-as-I-can-manage-on-the-kitchen-table measurement suggests 135mm; so I think that's pretty conclusive :smile:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Brief update, new axle sourced from SJS (thanks @Ming the Merciless!), hubs stripped, cleaned, regreased and new axle fitted. Bearings are a bit rough but will do, spokes have been abused at some point but are holding. Seems whoever owned / worked at this bike at some point in the past was a proper ham-fisted ape..

Wheel is now back with mate, pending me cycling over there to fit it and tax him for cooked meats and tobacco products :tongue:

Top Bottom