MTB chain cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi,

On my road bikes I "mickle method" the chains and it works well.

However, on my MTB despite the chain, cassette and chainwheel looking clean there is a definite grittiness to it after it has been mickled. On closer inspection there is still a fine sand on the inside of the chain plates.

Im thinking that for the MTB as it will be cleaned after each ride it will be worth getting a chain cleaner tool and degreaser and using a cheap lube (Currently using finish line Teflon that I use on my road bikes, but that will get expensive with regular MTB rides and re-lubing after each ride).

So.... Should I just mickle or degrease and re-lube after each ride? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks for your thoughts, Paul.

I'm afraid to clean my MTB, the pedals kept falling off until I sank into some clay and has been good ever since.

I'll buy another when it completely seizes up.

In your place though, I would only mickle it if it was in dire straits.

Gixxerman

Guru
I have a powerlink. It is a quick job to remove the chain with one fitted. I then tie a piece of string to the end link and then drop the chain in a plasitic bottle. I then put some white spirit in the bottle (parafin / diesel will also work). With the end of the string protruding from the top of the bottle, I put the bottle top back on trapping the string so that I it easier to retrieve the chain from the bottle later on. I then agitate / shake the bottle. This nicely removes any crap off the chain. I then retrieve the chain from the bottle using the string and hang it up to dry. Try not to shake the bottle too vigorously as this can cause the chain to develop kinks and make removing it from the bottle troublesome - or alternatively, you can use a bottle with a wider top. Refit the chain and lubricate as normal. Or if you have the time, you can place the chain in a tray and soak it in lube overnight. I use a cutdown plastic container as a tray.

I have a powerlink. It is a quick job to remove the chain with one fitted. I then tie a piece of string to the end link and then drop the chain in a plasitic bottle. I then put some white spirit in the bottle (parafin / diesel will also work). With the end of the string protruding from the top of the bottle, I put the bottle top back on trapping the string so that I it easier to retrieve the chain from the bottle later on. I then agitate / shake the bottle. This nicely removes any crap off the chain. I then retrieve the chain from the bottle using the string and hang it up to dry. Try not to shake the bottle too vigorously as this can cause the chain to develop kinks and make removing it from the bottle troublesome - or alternatively, you can use a bottle with a wider top. Refit the chain and lubricate as normal. Or if you have the time, you can place the chain in a tray and soak it in lube overnight. I use a cutdown plastic container as a tray.

Great. What do you with the now contaminated volatile chemical solvent?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Just shove it in the dishwasher.

note: I am not responsibly for what the wife says or any problems that may occur to the chain or dishwasher as a consequence.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Do I have to take the wheels off for this or are larger dishwashers available? :tongue:

Commercial-Flight-Conveyor-Dishwasher.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The residue makes a really good bonfire lighting liquid.
I pour all my old car engine oils, cleaning solvents and brush cleaner type flammable liquids into a big 5gal drum and the local MOT garage takes it off my hands to run his workshop heater in the winter. Everyone is happy and nothing naughty goes down the drain :angel:

Gixxerman

Guru
I pour all my old car engine oils, cleaning solvents and brush cleaner type flammable liquids into a big 5gal drum and the local MOT garage takes it off my hands to run his workshop heater in the winter. Everyone is happy and nothing naughty goes down the drain :angel:
I do the same thing and give it to the garage and he takes it off my hands for a small fee. What he does with it I have no idea. But I assume that he has to dispose of it / recycle it in an environmentally safe manner.

Oh, ok. You give it to someone who sets fire to it. Is this a good thing? Have you considered the environmental impact of setting fire to a cocktail of assorted chemicals?

Top Bottom