MTB conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Macka

Hi,
I was looking at my old mtb this morning and wondering if it was possible to put some narrower wheels on it a turn it into a sort of hybrid??
That way I can use it for my winter commute and leave the road bike in the nice dry garage.
Anyone have any experience...(p.s. my mtb rear wheel is knackered)

gbb

Legendary Member
Narrower slick tyres and maybe change the chainset for a 48T (assuming yours is a 42 T) would make it faster.
Cant say whether the 48T would go straight on without needing a longer cage rear mech...and maybe a liitle extra chain length as well ?

I'da thought that'd be a cheaper option than getting another bike..most if not all the bits you could get on ebay. You could revert back quite easily as well.

OP
OP
M

Macka

Thanks,
yes definitely would be an ebay job for the bits to keep costs down.
Wheels are currently 26", is it possible to stick some 700C on there?
Cheers
S

Landslide

Rare Migrant
You'll probably find that whilst 700c wheel and tyres would fit within the frame, the brake mounts are in the wrong place for 700c rims.
Easiest and cheapest way would be to get some narrow slick tyres for 26" wheels, e.g. these and mount them on your regular MTB wheels.
See how that goes, and maybe look at changing your gearing ratios at a later date if you really need to.

I fitted some MAVIC SPEED CITY wheels on one of my bikes, these are 700c drop in replacements for 26" wheels - they even take discs and are double skinned so are quite robust. According to the web site - they are V brakes compatible [with a little adjustment].

Problem is they are about £250 a set .....

Top Bottom