MTB for road use or a proper road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sprocket Dog

Hi all,For my commute I currently use a mountain bike with slick road tryes. My commute is 50 miles a day, 2/3 times a week.Would using a road bike make much of a difference to the length of time my commute takes (about 1hr 45mins each way)?I'm considering paying off my Cyclescheme voucher early in order to get a new bike in time for the London to Brighton and I guess I'm kinda looking for other 'valid' reasons to do so. TIA.:wacko:

joolsybools

I think yes.

I'm no expert but I think a road bike would have a lighter frame therefore less effort to get somewhere! I rode my old mountain bike to work yessterday to give to a mate and the difference was incredible. It was much slower, heavier and my legs ache today. Was so glad to be back on my light hybrid today.

Do you know anyone who has one that you can borrow for the day?

Randochap

Senior hunter
Get a road bike.

Having said that, there are a wide variety of bikes made for the road -- from racing-style bikes to practical utility bicycles. Choose wisely, depending on needs rather than fashion.

Refer to VeloWeb for more information on different styles of road bikes; from randonneur (audax), touring, to commuting machines.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i've asked this question before on another forum and never really got any answers from someone who has actually done it. my problem is that people say mtb's are heavier, but my mtb is lighter than most touring bikes, people say that geometry is better but a lot of todays tourers are on 26" mtb frames with 26' wheels and flat bars, people say go for a fast road bike you will save 15% to 20% in time but this equates to 10 or 15 mins and will a really light weight, therefore expensive, road bike cope with the riggers of 50 mile daily commutes. last time i had aroad bike years ago i remember having to regularly true the rims and replace brake blocks and wore thru two sets of rims in winter due to salt and grime.

dubhghall

I am also new to this road bike game and was commuting 26 miles a day 2-3 times a week on a hardtail with semi slicks inflated to 60psi. I have now bought a road bike for the commute in fair weather and use the mtb if wet.

I have found that my average speed is 3mph more on the road bike - approx 2+ miles is through town and both bikes are the same :tongue:! This is an improvement of 15%. The road bike is massively easier to pedal, particularly into a head wind and like joolsybools my legs don't ache at the end of it :biggrin:. The other major difference is the acceleration on the road bike - just awseome compared to the hardtail. Having said all that, I was a bit dissapointed the difference wasn't greater but I think my speed on the road bike will improve and the difference between the 2 may well widen.

Finally, the road bike is a shear joy to take out for spin - a commute has to be done, but I now WANT to get out on the road, just for fun!

My advice would be to start looking a road bikes, try lots and make use of the cyclescheme! You won't regret it :biggrin:

RedBike

Big yes.

I'm currently using a converted MTB. 700c slick wheels / disc brakes. The bike setup like this weighes in at a little over 9.5kg. This makes it lighter than most 'budget' racing bikes never mind tourers. Despite the MTB having a highly efficient race frame with top end forks that lock out it still doesn't climb anywhere near as well as my audax bike and the top speed is nothing like as quick either.

The irrony is the audax bike is probably another 4/5kg heavier and running on the same tyres.

IMAGE_379.jpg

515mm

RedBike said:

+1

I've done it. Bought a road bike with mudguard clearances and drillings. Light enough for sportive use but practical in the British weather. Much more comfortable over the 30 miles commute that I ride than my Cannondale hardtail. Much quicker too - especially into the wind. It's the position the frame geometry puts you in

OP
OP
S

Sprocket Dog

Thanks for all the responses folks and my apologies at not replying individually nor sooner. :rolleyes:
joolsybools;687554]Do you know anyone who has one that you can borrow for the day?[/quote]My colleague who sits next to me uses a Giant FCR 2 (for his 5 miles commute - I think he should run that :lol:). I said:
I'm going to be attempting to cycle into London from Redhill/Reigate and the only things stopping me just now are the hills - they're hooooooge - so your comment about the climbing ability of a road bike is particularly interesting - thanks. :smile:

RedBike

I'm going to be attempting to cycle into London from Redhill/Reigate and the only things stopping me just now are the hills - they're hooooooge - so your comment about the climbing ability of a road bike is particularly interesting - thanks. :tongue:

My comment about the climbing ability is probably slightly miss-leading. I meant the bike doesn't climb as quickly as the road bike; i'm always 2 or 3 gears lower on the MTB than I would be on the road bike.

The very low gears on the MTB allow even the steepest of climbs to be easily pedalled up, there's nothing you shouldn't get up.

OP
OP
S

Sprocket Dog

RedBike said:
My comment about the climbing ability is probably slightly miss-leading. I meant the bike doesn't climb as quickly as the road bike; i'm always 2 or 3 gears lower on the MTB than I would be on the road bike.

The very low gears on the MTB allow even the steepest of climbs to be easily pedalled up, there's nothing you shouldn't get up.

Likewise my response to you was slightly mis-leading. :blush: I can get up the hills on the MTB but it seems to take ages and my attention span begins to run out, so a road bike might hopefully be better for me in this regard. :wacko:

bonj2

Sprocket Dog said:
Hi all,For my commute I currently use a mountain bike with slick road tryes. My commute is 50 miles a day, 2/3 times a week.Would using a road bike make much of a difference to the length of time my commute takes (about 1hr 45mins each way)?I'm considering paying off my Cyclescheme voucher early in order to get a new bike in time for the London to Brighton and I guess I'm kinda looking for other 'valid' reasons to do so. TIA.:rolleyes:

an excellent road bike which I would recommend for your commute is this.

That's quite a commute....

A road bike would probably be quicker overall, but you could also make the mtb faster with lighter wheels and a few tweaks. Lowering the height of the bars with a dropped stem would bring you closer to a road bike position, as would having a longer stem, or even fitting some cheap aerobars. My slicked up mtb (fully rigid) is about as fast as my old steel racing hack but not as fast as my Sunday best superlight road bike. The smaller wheels of an mtb make for faster acceleration and the stiff frame is very efficient. Oh and I've also fitted a road double to replace the standard mtb chainset, so I'm not spinning out on the flat or downhill.

It's not quite as simple as roadbike = fast mtb = slow.....

OP
OP
S

Sprocket Dog

bonj;691859]an excellent road bike which I would recommend for your commute is [URL="http://tinyurl.com/cbnzwr said:
this[/URL].
That"]probably[/I] be quicker overall, but you could also make the mtb faster with lighter wheels and a few tweaks. Lowering the height of the bars with a dropped stem would bring you closer to a road bike position, as would having a longer stem, or even fitting some cheap aerobars. My slicked up mtb (fully rigid) is about as fast as my old steel racing hack but not as fast as my Sunday best superlight road bike. The smaller wheels of an mtb make for faster acceleration and the stiff frame is very efficient. Oh and I've also fitted a road double to replace the standard mtb chainset, so I'm not spinning out on the flat or downhill.It's not quite[/I'] as simple as roadbike = fast mtb = slow.....[/quote]I was giving some thought to modding the bike. I think that would work out cheaper, though it's be a pain to have to switch everything around if I were to fancy some trail riding for a day - just now I only have to swap tyres.Saying that, buying shiney new bits is always exciting, so maybe more thought with some planning is required. :smile:

Top Bottom