MTB in Andalucia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

Hi everyone

I'm going to Spain in July and staying in a place called Jaen which is north of Grenada and east of Cordoba

I've done a bit of road biking around the Sierra Nevada but fancy some off roading.
It's very mountainous and I'm sure there are some great trails, but I've never really found an easy way to find them in Spain (with them not having OS maps)

Unlikely I know, but has anyone been around that area? On-road places to go would also be appreciated, as would ideas for maps that show off-road trails in Spain

Thanks a lot

Have a look at this site:

http://www.bikingandalucia.com/mountainbiking.asp

Surf around a bit and have a look at their routes/maps.

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

Cheers Davyo - some nice looking routes - I'll have a longer look this evening.

Great photos - makes me wish I was there right now

By the way, is that a different picture of "The Dude" in your avatar - I'm sure you had a different one once.

mangaman said:
The Dude abides, man, The Dude abides.

Indeed he does! :smile:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EGwDEbTzoE&feature=PlayList&p=42996DF37C44692C&index=0&playnext=1

I was in Benidorm in February for 10 days on my own and rented a road bike for the duration. I had no problem finding decent maps of the vicinity, and even when I got lost I was able to follow the signs back to B-dorm.

There's some great cycling country there (MTB and road), just head out into the hills with enough water and money!

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

Great youtube clip :smile: Cheers - I want to watch it again now!

I love the cycling in Southern Spain too

I've just done it mainly on-road, and as you say water is the key - keep riding and you'll get somewhere.

I just fancied some off-roading, but in that area I'm never sure what is private land / what are bikable trails etc

I guess the best thing is to use routes used by companies like the link you sent me earlier.

andym

Über Member
You might also want to look at www.transandalus.org a 2,000 km circuit of Andalucía, mostly off-road. The project is the work of a network of volunteers. They've produced a series of RoadBooks which give detailed route instructions as well as information about accommodation and places to eat etc. Almost all of these have now been translated into English (unfortunately the only one that hasn't been translated is the guide to Jáen - but I'm hoping to do this soon).

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

andym said:
You might also want to look at www.transandalus.org a 2,000 km circuit of Andalucía, mostly off-road. The project is the work of a network of volunteers. They've produced a series of RoadBooks which give detailed route instructions as well as information about accommodation and places to eat etc. Almost all of these have now been translated into English (unfortunately the only one that hasn't been translated is the guide to Jáen - but I'm hoping to do this soon).

Wow - thanks Andym. That's an awesome project

The guides are superb

I've downloaded the Jaen one - it's exactly what I was after

My Spanish is OK enough to understand most of it

Thanks again

Enough there for quite a few holidays to come as well!

chrisgw3

Have a look at the Spanish Environment ministry's Farming Land Geographical Information System (SIGPAC)

www.mapa.es/en/sig/pags/sigpac/intro.htm

Click on the map of spain to start the mapping app.

It can show either map or satellite views or a mixture of both and it's very detailed (they use it to count olive trees amongst other things). You can see most tracks on it - much more detailed than Google.

Although it's on the other side of Granada from Jaen you might want to take a look at my website of routes around the Lecrin Valley. Might whet your appetite for those mountain trails.

www.lecrinvalleycycling.talktalk.net

Chris

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

Thanks Chris

That Spanish Environment map is seriously cool. Definitely gone into my bookmarks

It has already solved a problem I had (trying to work out why a trail seemed to just stop on another map) as you say you can just zoom straight in there. I'm not surprised they use it to count trees!

your website is great too

I'll be there on Thursday - my appetite is seriously wetted!

andym

Über Member
Just a quick update: the translation of the Jáen roadbook is now done and should be on the website soon.

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

andym said:
Just a quick update: the translation of the Jáen roadbook is now done and should be on the website soon.

Thanks - I'm flying out tomorrow! Can't wait

(The Spanish version has been very helpful anyway though - thanks

andym

Über Member
mangaman said:
Thanks - I'm flying out tomorrow! Can't wait

(The Spanish version has been very helpful anyway though - thanks

Have a good trip.

My update was mainly for the benefit of someone coming upon this thread in the future.

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

andym said:
Have a good trip.

My update was mainly for the benefit of someone coming upon this thread in the future.

Thanks anyway

Just back - amazing place to go. I'd recommend it to anyone . On or off road (in fact I did a lot on-road)

No cars / unbelievable views / still snow on the mountains of Southern Spain in July!

A few pics

Top Bottom