MTB Under £400 help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chrismawa

Chrismawa

Über Member
Gut call says the VooDoo, as they've gained a truly stellar reputation as budget performers. In reality though you need to cock a leg over them to see which suits you best.

Ill check out the voodoo in store, however the BTWIN would be ordered online so no chance to view one :sad:

OP
OP
Chrismawa

Chrismawa

Über Member
Found a couple more, the spec across these bikes is all similar by the looks.

Any thoughts on these?

Jamis Trail X Expert 27.5
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/trail-x-expert-2015-275-mountain-bike-ec072065

Specialized Pitch Sport 650b
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/pitch-sport-2015-650b-mountain-bike-ec070611

They're all going to be quite similar for that price. The one that stands out spec wise is the Calibre 2 by Go Outdoors that I linked to earlier. Shimano m395 brakes, Deore shifters and rear derailleur and Rockshox xc28 forks, which whilst not brilliant are streets ahead of the RST or Suntour on other bikes. Decent tyres too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chrismawa

Chrismawa

Über Member
They're all going to be quite similar for that price. The one that stands out spec wise is the Calibre 2 by Go Outdoors that I linked to earlier. Shimano m395 brakes, Deore shifters and rear derailleur and Rockshox xc28 forks, which whilst not brilliant are streets ahead of the RST or Suntour on other bikes. Decent tyres too.

Only problem is, Im not really digging the looks of the calibre :blush:

OP
OP
Chrismawa

Chrismawa

Über Member
I managed to pick up a 2014 Cararra Kraken that had only been rode 3 times for a bargain price! So the search is over :biggrin: Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I nipped into halfords to ask whether they actually had voodoo hoodoos in stock as claimed on the website.
Seems not and when they checked only a couple of the larger local stores still had any in stock as it's coming up to a model change so they'd been clearing the stock out.
So you might have had problems sourcing one anyway given they were not available for home delivery

Levo-Lon

Guru
I just sold a bike that cost me 1200 to build and sold it for 350 cash, second hand 2 yr old.so maybe second hand is the way to a good bike for 400 quid.

everything new at that price will be a heavy cheap and cheerfull bike but it will do the job..until you need a better bike.
I bought several bikes at the starter budget and there ok but you will want a better spec bike if you get the bug.

just trying to save you money...hindsight lol

OP
OP
Chrismawa

Chrismawa

Über Member
I just sold a bike that cost me 1200 to build and sold it for 350 cash, second hand 2 yr old.so maybe second hand is the way to a good bike for 400 quid.

everything new at that price will be a heavy cheap and cheerfull bike but it will do the job..until you need a better bike.
I bought several bikes at the starter budget and there ok but you will want a better spec bike if you get the bug.

just trying to save you money...hindsight lol

Agreed! Although the Kraken isn't £1000+ bike, it had all the spec I was after and more but far cheaper than I was going to pay for a Hoodoo etc. So yeah second hand is always worth a look, especially with a low budget :smile:

Top Bottom