MTB vs Road clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karen.488walker

I have gone clipless on my MTB but have really struggled. Are road clipless any easier? My main problem has been disengaging when losing power going uphill, have persevered and tried everything.
ps this is now for a road not MTB

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
what combination of pedals and cleats and shoes are you struggling with?

Do you mean that you want to pull your cleat out and walk up the hill but can't as you are losing momentum and will fall over first? - if so, I don't think you will find road systems any easier.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
and your still having issues?
is your cleat or pedal system worn down? it really should just slip out like this.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you have trouble with mtb then you will have trouble with road.
What ever you choose you have to stick at it, it will soon become second nature and easier.

GrahamG

Guru
It gets easier both mechanically (as cleat wears a little and spring tension settles) and practically as you get used to it. Don't worry, just make sure you plan for unclipping until it's second nature

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
As soon as you feel yourself slowing towards an unavoidable halt, eject. It'll mean walking five paces you could have pedalled, but could save you a nasty spill. Might be worth mentioning what pedals you're using, although that can be a can of worms insofar as a million responses saying "the only good system is look/shimano/time/etc"

OP
OP
karen.488walker

karen.488walker

The nice man in the LBS oiled them and that seems to have helped alot. I think the shoes are a bit soft. Will try road ones once I'm more used to the bike, and when I'm allowed to spend some more money. Spent £50 on cleaning stuff today1

Top Bottom