MTB-width tyres on road rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'm not sure why the OP wants to do this...
Implies that he's had less than ideal experience with 1.5" tyres but I don't really see how a change to 2.25" is going to reduce the risk of blow outs.
I can see that wider tyres might be advantage on soft snow, maybe even on hard pack/ice by virtue of getting more studs on the ground at any one time, but "avoiding blow-outs" ???

With rim brakes I wouldn't, the rims could be at risk of failure sooner than with a correct size tyre....as the metal gets rubbed away..

Actually the opposite. Smaller tyres with their higher PSI exert a greater load to the rim than fat tyres.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I disagree, the higher than normal pressures required to stop over sized tyre rollover and the tyre coming off puts stress in a different way, I.e., it acts as a lever on the top outside edge of the rim. Correctly fitting tyres exert pressure from within the rim, I.e., where it is designed too. The pressure pushes the bead into the hook on a correctly sized tyre but on oversized tyres pressure is trying to pean the tyre off.

This could be a reason why manufacturers put max tyre sizes on......I don't know I'm just guessing on the reasons why the sticker is there and on manufacturers websites.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm not sure why the OP wants to do this...
Implies that he's had less than ideal experience with 1.5" tyres but I don't really see how a change to 2.25" is going to reduce the risk of blow outs.
I can see that wider tyres might be advantage on soft snow, maybe even on hard pack/ice by virtue of getting more studs on the ground at any one time, but "avoiding blow-outs" ???
Maybe your right, I read it that he was assuming he was increasing the risk of the tyre coming off the rim.

Top Bottom