Muc Off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

I used to religiously pass my chain through a chain washer filled with Muc Off (pink stuff) and lubricate as part of my clycle maintenance regime, but I gather from this forum that the Mickle method is the favoured chain maintenance.

Is there anything then that Cycle specific detergents are good for if not cleaning chains?

Globalti

Legendary Member
2007-08-18_17-36-41.jpg

Spud

White spirit. Tooth brush . Keep dowsing the brush in a small pot of spirit and hold against the chain as you turn the pedals.I normally give the cogs a brush to get any sand and debris that may be attached to any oil.
A good squirt of chain lub when the spirit has evapourated and the chain runs fine.
Its a bit primative but it seems to work and its an awful lot cheaper than the Muc Off kits.
The only slight downer is that the wheel and frame get a bit of spray from the brush but that can be wiped off with a rag.

Danny

Legendary Member
Zippy said:
Is there anything then that Cycle specific detergents are good for if not cleaning chains?
I use it, infrequently, for get muck off my frame, normally when I get a mixture of grease and dirt that is not easily shifted with soapy water.

For chain cleaning I stick to the Mickle method - though probably omit some of the wipes.

Top Bottom