mudguards on a fixie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
after reading the mudguards thread and someone making the good point, that catching ecoli from road shoot is possible. i'm thinking perhaps guards makes sense on the fixie commuter. the only reason i've not bothered is that i reckon the fact that the back wheel moves backwards and forwards, it'd be a pain to get them to look right (equally spaced) and to remove the rear wheel.

do guards make removing the rear wheel more difficult?

tyred

Legendary Member
If you have forward facing dropouts, it shouldn't.

For track ends, you would need to leave enough clearance at the back to give room to slide the wheel back. If possible, try and find mudguard stays which go on to the axle like an old Raleigh roadster and that will make things easier as undoing the axle nuts will also undo the mudguard.

Ibbots

Been pondering the same problem too, at the moment have to undo mudguard stays and there's enough flexibility in the 'guard to allow me to get the wheel off. Bit of a faff though.

Don't think fitting them with enough clearance is possible on my bike and it would look a mess anyway.

I have thought about guards with breakaway fixings, I remember having some SKS ones once. I would think that repeated use would make them too loose after a while but might be worth a go?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm pretty sure you can get some sort of quick-release fittings for rear 'guards although I just have my 'guards set up so there's enough gap to get the wheel off without undoing them (and they aren't at some stupid distance from the wheel, just enough that I can get the wheel out of the (rear-facing) dropout.

yello

I undo a couple of allen bolts on the frame end of the mudguard stays and the mudguard then swings sufficiently far out of the way to get the wheel out. An extra step but not what I'd call pfaff. Tbh, I think it more of a pfaff getting the tension right again after putting the wheel back in!

That's with SKS full mudguards and a pompino.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm pretty sure you can get some sort of quick-release fittings for rear 'guards although I just have my 'guards set up so there's enough gap to get the wheel off without undoing them (and they aren't at some stupid distance from the wheel, just enough that I can get the wheel out of the (rear-facing) dropout.

I reckon SKS secuclips would work as a kind of part QR - they supply them for the front wheel, and you can, iirc, buy them separately.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Have used both the SKS and road racers on the Pompino.

SKS: got eaten, eventually. I ride a medium sized Pompino and I was riding it all year round in all weathers. One too many potholes in Kirkcaldy caused the secuclips to give way and I nearly had a disaster. This was probably not helped by my luggage choice of a Carradice Trax that barely fitted between saddle and guard (although a rack would have been impossible on my size).

The racers were better, although not ideal. In the end I gave up on a mudguard on the rear and relied on the Trax by itself. I would like to try finding a solution that actually works, though. I'm still looking.

Sam

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I reckon SKS secuclips would work as a kind of part QR - they supply them for the front wheel, and you can, iirc, buy them separately.

Mine has the SKS Secuclips front and back, so I can get the rear out fast.

Was going to specify them like that from my LBS, but he already fitted them.

SKS's guards for last two years - no problems, and needed the secuclips a few times - well happy !

colinr

How much of a faff is getting the rear guard off assuming you're carrying the necessary tools? I want to run "proper" ones on my Pompino build, seems rude not to as I have all the necessary mounting points.

Also, any recommendations?

Ibbots

How much of a faff is getting the rear guard off assuming you're carrying the necessary tools? I want to run "proper" ones on my Pompino build, seems rude not to as I have all the necessary mounting points.

Also, any recommendations?

The major faff for me was hunting for a in the grass at the side of the road after I dropped it, other than that I guess it's not the end of the world - just another process to deal with and tool to remember.

I have Vavert 'guards on my Pompino. Fit nicely, come in a few colours and only £22 at Wiggle.

colinr

Don't suppose you're running 28mm tyres? Not sure which of the two sizes I'd need.
Might go for the SKS ones though, just because I want all black
cool.gif

Ibbots

Don't suppose you're running 28mm tyres? Not sure which of the two sizes I'd need.
Might go for the SKS ones though, just because I want all black
cool.gif

23mm, but have Alpina forks and 105 brake caliper on the front so there's not much clearance. Should be ok on the back, I had to drill the rear guard to fit a a bolt through to the bottom of the seat stay bridge and put a couple washers between the guard and frame to get the right clearance.

I've got the black and green ones, the stripe is quite subtle.

Top Bottom