mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anweledig

I had a great ride last weekend on my first audax but on the last leg had a bit of a problem. Going steadily along a country lane, the front wheel suddenly stopped so I took a header onto the floor. Trying to see what had happened I found my front mudguard had folded up and jammed against the wheel and next to the bike was a short piece of twig that had apparently snapped in 2. I assume this had jumped up under the wheel and caught in the mudguard causing the problem.

The bike is a road bike with 700-23tyres and I would like to avoid this happening again. As winter is approaching I don't want ride without guards but am looking for some type of quick release to get me out of trouble next time. Perhaps raceblades or is there something better? Any ideas?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
sks guards have a thing that prevents that.

OP
OP
anweledig

anweledig

I've just popped into my lbs and they're getting some in next weekend for me ti see. In the meantime I've changed the gap on the front guard to give a bit more clearance - I think that should make set debris less likely to catch.
tnx for the comments.

Peter10

I got some SKS Raceblades on a recommendation from someone on this forum. Used them first time in the rain last night on the way home from work. Was only spitting by the time I left, but there was a lot of standing water on the roads. My backside stayed dry (compared to the time I cycled home in the rain). The front wheel still spits up, but nowhere near as bad as before. It generally spits straight up, rather than under the forks and between your legs!

They took a bit of playing around with to get them to stop rubbing on the front and rear wheels. I ended up using a couple of small cable-ties along with the rubber straps just for some added strength. Both sit about 1/2"-1" from the wheel with no issues.

Go for eBay rather than any online shop. The RRP is about £39 and they are not worth that much. I got them for £22 on eBay.

Chrisc

Guru
I got some SKS Raceblades on a recommendation from someone on this forum. Used them first time in the rain last night on the way home from work. Was only spitting by the time I left, but there was a lot of standing water on the roads. My backside stayed dry (compared to the time I cycled home in the rain). The front wheel still spits up, but nowhere near as bad as before. It generally spits straight up, rather than under the forks and between your legs!

They took a bit of playing around with to get them to stop rubbing on the front and rear wheels. I ended up using a couple of small cable-ties along with the rubber straps just for some added strength. Both sit about 1/2"-1" from the wheel with no issues.

Go for eBay rather than any online shop. The RRP is about £39 and they are not worth that much. I got them for £22 on eBay.

Just about to clean my bike after yesterdays mudfest and fit the raceblades that I have in the garage and which would have better served me on the bike....

Top Bottom