Murder on the road.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saddle bum

Über Member
From The Times...
• The death of a cyclist who fell from his bike in Torfaen in South Wales is being treated as murder. Gwent Police said that four suspects — men aged 18, 19 and 23 and a woman aged 19 — had been arrested. The cyclist, aged 63, was taken to hospital with head injuries on Wednesday. He died a few hours later.

ASC1951

Guru
And the point of this post is ...?

Arch

Married to Night Train
And the point of this post is ...?

To promote discussion, presumably.

Interesting to hear of a charge of 'murder' which seems unusual, and to me suggests something more than a traffic collision between people unknown to each other - IE some premeditation. That the victim was on a bike may be an irrelevance.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Two options come to mind.

It could be murder in the truest form, in which case the fact it was a cyclist on the road isn't a "conversion" in the sense of it broadening out to a discussion on road safety and legal sanctions on motorists involved, as this obviously wouldn't apply.

Or, its a RTC with grossly aggravating factors, for example (and I am hypothesizing completely here) extremes of speed and/or intoxication. In that instance, the CPS may feel that Death by Dangerous isn't sufficient enough of a charge. They'll go in with murder for the defence to knock it down to manslaughter as a lesser offence on the absence of mens rea.

TVC

This was reported briefky on the BBC a couple of days ago, but I can't find any more details, which seems a bit strange.

Bear in mind there was a headline from Nottingham a couple of years ago 'Cyclist shot in broad daylight'. The story was actually very different frim the headline. One toerag drug dealer popped another toerag drug dealer as part of a feud, the fact he was riding a bike at the time was of no real relevance.

Top Bottom