Must be phishing, no?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
Have just had an email purporting to be from ebay but the header shows a totally different outfit of which I have never heard. It is entitled

Question about Item #947413276681 - Respond Now

Dear member,
eBay member timeautoparts has left you a message regarding item #947413276681
click here to view the message
Regards,
eBay

On checking the link via yahoo search, it is part of the website of a primary school in Botswana.

These phishers are being trained young!

Is item #947413276681 yours?

Herr-B

This is a copy of an genuine ebay question from a potential buyer -

Dear me4what,

hi, please could you let me know if these shoes are size 38 or 39 please, many thanks jayne
- parklands96

(image removed)​
Jacques Vert Shoes and Matching Handbag
Item Id:
End time:
11-May-11 16:24:42 BST
Buyer:
parklands96 (301
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)

100.0% Positive Feedback
Member since 03-Mar-03 in United Kingdom
Listing Status:
This message was sent while the listing was active.

Your differs vastly from this, and I wouldn't entertain the idea of following it up. Report it to ebay. If you are selling something through ebay, you can always double-check your messages within ebay.

(Can I just say, I was selling these on behalf of my mother-in-law - shoes and handbags aren't usally my ebay thing. :whistle:)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
They use anything in Botswana to replace auto parts. Possibly. What are you selling? A suspender belt could possibly double as a fan belt, for example, and a bra might make an excellent mobile phone 'cradle', if hung correctly. Dildos for gearsticks, and so on... :smile:

Reactions: Maz

Maz

Guru
Take this as a lesson learnt.
Next time you should list the item as 'UK bidders only'.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Botswana is one of the better countries in Africa that I've visited. Except that while my agent was lounging in his bed in the morning a woman strolled into his hut, looked surprised to see him there and muttered that she wanted to borrow some toothpaste. He had a feeling that she was hoping to borrow his wallet, passport and laptop.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Botswana is one of the better countries in Africa that I've visited. Except that while my agent was lounging in his bed in the morning a woman strolled into his hut, looked surprised to see him there and muttered that she wanted to borrow some toothpaste. He had a feeling that she was hoping to borrow his wallet, passport and laptop.
I worked with a (very camp) bloke years ago, who whenever he wanted to comment on the ridiculousness or pettiness of management behaviour or decisions, would say "It's like Botswana, darling" :smile:

Shaun

Founder
If you hover over the link - the very last part of the URL (before the first slash) should be something like .ebay.co.uk/ or .ebay.com/ - otherwise it's not a genuine link.

The scam ones often look okay by including the domain you expect to see - but in the wrong place in the link, e.g.;

http:// ebay.co.uk.7784663537388.stealyouraccountdetails.co.uk/ - so you see the first "ebay.co.uk" part and assume it's genuine when in actual fact the site that you end up visiting is in the latter part of the link "stealyouraccountdetails.co.uk".

Right-click the link and COPY URL and send me it in a PM or via the site contact form and I'll check it for you. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
asterix

asterix

Comrade Member
When you go into your ebay account (BUT NOT via the link), have they actually left you a message?

Not a sausage!

Is item #947413276681 yours?

No, I can't find any such item on ebay.

If you hover over the link - the very last part of the URL (before the first slash) should be something like .ebay.co.uk/ or .ebay.com/ - otherwise it's not a genuine link.

The scam ones often look okay by including the domain you expect to see - but in the wrong place in the link, e.g.;

http:// ebay.co.uk.7784663537388.stealyouraccountdetails.co.uk/ - so you see the first "ebay.co.uk" part and assume it's genuine when in actual fact the site that you end up visiting is in the latter part of the link "stealyouraccountdetails.co.uk".

Right-click the link and COPY URL and send me it in a PM or via the site contact form and I'll check it for you. :thumbsup:

Cheers Shaun, have sent info.

Top Bottom