My 2010 tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisCrc

Hi All

Next year in May 2010 i am doing a tour from Holland to Italy .I want to follow the path of the Rhine from Holland (approx 800 miles) then through Germany, Austria and some Switzerland then finally into Italy.
It has always been my goal for the last 15 years to do this tour before i snuff it ( not that i am planning to snuff it in the near future:smile:) I am going to give myself 6 months to do it and i want to do it without taking loads of stuff with me. ie: just taking a lightweight tent, sleeping bag and a few change of clothes and some bike spares and doing some free camping and some campsites on the way.

I really want to do this before the winter in Europe sets in

do you think this is feasible in the 6 month time limit or am i biting off more than i can chew ?

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Also any tips would be great

Cheers

Chris

rich p

ridiculous old lush
6 months? You could get to Australia in that time, Chris!
I cycled with my wife from Calais to Bologna in 5 leisurely weeks. I think your going to have to extend your route to fill up half a year. We averaged 50 miles a day so 800 miles would take only 16 riding days at that rate.
Good luck to you though.

OP
OP
ChrisCrc

ChrisCrc

Hi Richp
Thanks for the comment, I did think of roughly 50 miles per day as well, being that it would be easy to achieve and do more if the need arises.

cheers

Chris

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
50 miles a day is very, very easy until you get to where the Rhine comes out of Lake Constance. The question is where do you go from there? I would suggest that you follow the Schwäbische route up to the Danube then along the Danube Radweg as far a Donauwörth, where you pick up the Romantische Straße route and head south to Füssen. From Füssen follow the Via Claudia Augusta route through Austria into Italy. There's a Bikeline guide (Publisher: Esterbauer Verlag) for each route.

An alternative is the Bodensee-Königsee route from L Constance and pick up the Romantische Straße much nearer Füssen.

xilios

Veteran
I've cycled from Holland to Athens in '05 and it took me 5 weeks. Six months you can (slowly) cycle from the Norhern most point in Europe, Northcape to the Southern most point Gavdos island, Greece with a over a month to spare.
Well thats what we are planning at the moment for 2010 ;)
If you like any details of our plans (kms, countries, etc...) pm me.
cheers

xilios

Veteran
SAS to Alta +/- 250km from Northcape. Here is a link to the website of a friend Jose, he stayed in our place last summer on his tour from Northcape to Switserland.
For his age he has done some very inpressive tours, enjoy his page.

OP
OP
ChrisCrc

ChrisCrc

Hi all
Thanks for the replys:smile: I dont really know what route i will be taking as yet, as i have not really planned anything , I just know that i'm going to do it:laugh:. I had a look on Jose's website and his Holland tour ( very impressive ) If it was not for a few commitments here in Blighty i would be off his year:sad: .

How are you intending to get to the N Cape? ( N cape? Whats that, See i told you i have not planned anything:blush:)

Chris

rich p

ridiculous old lush
ChrisCrc said:
Hi all

How are you intending to get to the N Cape? ( N cape? Whats that, See i told you i have not planned anything:blush:)

Chris

He was asking Xilios, Chris. North Cape being the supposedly most northerly point in Europe. You could start there too!

jay clock

Massive member
Well firstly lucky you. I would have a good read of crazyguy. Agreed with the other comments, you need to do a bit of research. 6 mths will only be about 5 miles day.....

OP
OP
ChrisCrc

ChrisCrc

Ideally i will be going and really just pleasing myself on the time i spend away as i dont really have any ties as such and i just love the whole idea of getting on the bike and seeing where i end up. There is so much out there and some parts of Europe are so nice, I have been all over Germany, Austria, France, Belgium, Luxembourg and some Switzerland & Italy over the years ( admittedly not on a bike) but i was always blown away by the Scenery, People, Food, and the Fantastic road systems that these other countries have ( it sure puts our roads to shame:wacko:)

Yes i will do a lot of research over the next year

Chris

Top Bottom