My 2014 commute to work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Nope. Leeds City Council haven't provided one so I'm on the dual-carriageway with everything else.

Exhilarating though, isn't it! Highest speed road on my commute is 50 and the pace of the road really makes you go for it...like va-va-voom! :wahhey:

Col5632

Guru
I've hit my target despite doing less weekend rides so must mean I've done more commuting this year, not anywhere near everyday like it should be though, hopefully I'll get my lazy ass up everyday next year and do it more days than I have this year.

I moved house in September so my commute has went from a massive 5.2 miles to 6.2 miles each way :laugh: I have recently started to try and do 10 miles each way, or what usually happens, do the 6 miles to work and 14 the long way home :bicycle:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@DCLane

How come you went through so many components in a year? 6 brake cables & 3 gear cables? and 8 tyres? :ohmy:

Brake cables due to changing bikes 3 times, one of which had to be built and the others had been standing.

8 tyres = 4 pairs. I run Schwalbe Lugano's and get about 1000-1500 miles a tyre. The state of the roads in Leeds is abysmal with them cleaning the roads less than once a year. After a thousand miles the tyres are all cut up.

I've tried better tyres (Gatorskins, etc.) and they aren't much better so Lugano's bought in bulk work fine.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Brake cables due to changing bikes 3 times, one of which had to be built and the others had been standing.

8 tyres = 4 pairs. I run Schwalbe Lugano's and get about 1000-1500 miles a tyre. The state of the roads in Leeds is abysmal with them cleaning the roads less than once a year. After a thousand miles the tyres are all cut up.

I've tried better tyres (Gatorskins, etc.) and they aren't much better so Lugano's bought in bulk work fine.

Aha I see.
Try Spesh Aramdillo's. You will get twice as much mileage out of them and trust me, London's roads are just as bad as Leeds.

I sold the car in February as I never used it. I put £300 just to show how much money you can save by using the bike. if I would have used a car, it would have cost me £300 in petrol, at about £1.30 a day
In that case don't forget your other running costs such as wear and tear, tyres, servicing, MOT and insurance, cleaning etc etc, it will all add up to way more than £300!

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
2014 has been a good, and my mist dedicated cycle commuting year. Saved around £1200 on fuel of which I've put about £450 maybe back into cycling goodies. Wear parts, a pair of tyres, 2 gear cables and that's about it. Pads are due a change real soon, the turn of the year will see these done. Treated myself to some new wheels too. Really looking forward to the Spring months in 2015 and the nice dry roads it'll bring with it! Well done to all on a sound year of riding ! :cheers:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Touched on this on another thread.

Been a very good commuting year for me.
No crashes, collisions, bangs or accidents.
Since August my commute has gone up to 5 days after 4 years of 4 days, so that's an extra 22-35 mile round commute a day. (I only managed 8 direct 11 miles door to door commutes in this time)
So to date it's 371 commutes at 6346 miles total, with tonight's and tomorrows commute and another 4 days worth to come for the year.
45 of the commutes have been rainy ones
7 of the commutes have been foggy
2 Punctures, which is not bad for the mean streets of South East London

One new commute bike for this year. (I buy a new one every 2 years.)

clid61

Veteran
2048 commuting miles another 4 shifts to add which brings it to 2112 for the year . then resetting clock on first day back in Jan .

Good work sir.... Ive averaged 4 commutes a week based on 5 or 6 day week....i reckon i save about £600 a year in petrol based on used to fill up twice a month B.C (before cycling) now once a month.... car mileage is shopping:rolleyes: and visiting people.....

sheffgirl

Managed roughly 1770 miles this year, should have really been more but I got lazy, and then I had 4/5 weeks off due to to having a bike :sad:
My goal is to do more miles in 2015.
Not been a bad year, 3 offs, but 2 weren't really my fault. The other was just random. Managed more offroading, and I think I improved at uphills, slightly.
Have a new bike now and looking forward to next year and pushing myself to get better :smile:

Top Bottom