My arrest story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At this point, for Over the Hill, I would like to quote Batty (Rutger Hauer) the replicant from Bladerunner:

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

Some of us refuse to live in fear, no matter what our masters tell us.

Disgruntled Goat said:
At this point, for Over the Hill, I would like to quote Batty (Rutger Hauer) the replicant from Bladerunner:

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

Some of us refuse to live in fear, no matter what our masters tell us.

So - Do you have locks on your doors at night? Do you lock your car, do you chain your bike up. Do you lug a bike lock and a bunch of keys around with you wherever you go?
Yes of course you do (unless you live somewhere that is crime free).

We all in normal life take precautions against someone doing something unpleasant to us. Be it being robbed or being blown up. What is the difference?

It is a matter of finding a balance between the fear of the crime and the inconvenience of steps taken in stopping it.

I ran a Jewellery shop once and was attacked by robbers who beat me up and robbed the shop. I do not now live in fear of it but I do lock my door. I am pleased if a policeman is outside walking past. I am pleased and choose to live in a land with a good legal system and one that is reasonably on top of crime. Are you saying we should not have police? Terrorism is no different to any other crime. You have to take steps to stop it. That may be inconvenient but any steps to stop crime are inconvenient.

It is not some great conspiricy to take away your freedom to go on a plane with a bottle of liquid nor is it a plot to give all asians a hard time. It is just policing a facet of crime like any other.

col

Legendary Member
I think you hit the nail on the head there well said.As far as racism is concerned,i suppose there is always going to be that element with a minority of people or even police,and there will always be the bad attitude and unsuitable in all jobs,but in general i think we should all consider ourselves lucky to have the sort of police force we have,and the way its trained and used.

Rhythm Thief said:
You forgot this - :rolleyes: Unless, rather depressingly, you're being serious.

I left it out because I did not want to diffuse the irony, Ben thinks the OP is unwise chatting to an armed police, he thinks this should cast suspicion on the OP, yet he brags about thinking of ways to blow up a plane full of innocent people, now which would you consider to be the most likely terrorist? The young asian who makes small talk with a police or the (white?), guy who brags about thinking of ways to blow up a plane?

Now if you think it is the asian, then there is only one reason for that suspicion and that is skin colour. If it was right for the OP to be pulled up like that then is it not more correct for Ben to undergo extensive detention and investigation for not only bragging about ways to blow up a plane but also for publishing suggestions on how best to attack airports.

When it comes to not being very sensible, is it less sensible to talk to an armed police or to publish airport attack suggestions on the internet?

I don't think either of them are terrorists but if I had to choose which one would be most likely out of the two, I would have to pick Ben for his published words, I like Ben's posts in general, I find them pretty well balanced but I think in this instance double standards are winning the day.

Being asian is not now and never will be a reason for considering someone to be a threat to society.

Over The Hill said:
So - Do you have locks on your doors at night? Do you lock your car, do you chain your bike up. Do you lug a bike lock and a bunch of keys around with you wherever you go?

We all in normal life take precautions against someone doing something unpleasant to us. Be it being robbed or being blown up. What is the difference?

It is a matter of finding a balance between the fear of the crime and the inconvenience of steps taken in stopping it.

I ran a Jewellery shop once and was attacked by robbers who beat me up and robbed the shop. I do not now live in fear of it but I do lock my door. I am pleased if a policeman is outside walking past. I am pleased and choose to live in a land with a good legal system and one that is reasonably on top of crime. Are you saying we should not have police? Terrorism is no different to any other crime. You have to take steps to stop it. That may be inconvenient but any steps to stop crime are inconvenient.

It is not some great conspiricy to take away your freedom to go on a plane with a bottle of liquid nor is it a plot to give all asians a hard time. It is just policing a facet of crime like any other.

There is taking precautions then there is the state generating fear and paranoia in order to use and abuse the of power by the state, leading to the erosion of civil liberties, civil liberties which will take decades to reclaim once they have been taken from us.

Compulsory ID is one of many such examples.

The terrorists must be pissing themselves.

bonk man

I am going on a demo tomorrow, the police are "very concerned" that no one has contacted them with details of the demo..........

The demo is in support of some one who has been banged up for 4 years for organising demo's............................non violent and always did as the police asked..........

So what has happened.. the law jumps on a peaceful protest over an issue to stifle it then gets loads more people activated and politicized. Dumb arsed government. I have better things to do with my time than protest against stuff usually but this has really pissed me off.

They will need to build a lot more prisons if they bring in id cards. Even the census looks like being boycotted by more than a handful of people because of the involvement of an arms company in the collecting of it. I thought the tories were cretins but this lot are worse.

yenrod

Over The Hill said:

What are the police there for - to do the job of our conciensce/morals/decency/community spirit.

Top Bottom