My Canada roadtrip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maurice

(Warning: Looong)

I just spent two weeks on a roadtrip British Columbia, and this is how it went...

Flew into Vancouver, seven of us with seven bikes so hired a van and a saloon.

2.jpg

Then spent the afternoon drinking in Gas Town and dossing around the waterfront.

61.jpg

Next day, drove up to Horseshoe bay to get a ferry across to Vancouver island. You'd think by the name it'd be a small place but it's about half the size of Ireland.

34.jpg

69.jpg

Arrived at the 'Riding Fool' hostel, amazing place we'd be staying the next few days. Even had a bike shop downstairs.

3.jpg

59.jpg

Went out for a ride soon after arriving, I was expecting the trails here to be a warm-up for the mainland stuff but never been so wrong. They were absolutely awesome, all local-built and went on for miles after miles. Mega-tech too, the roots here are absolutely huge and it's full of them.

Within an hour Chris taco'd his front wheel, had to carry his bike back.

60.jpg

Shop built him a new wheel the next morning. Then an epic all-day ride with people stacking all over the place, very fun.

35.jpg

29.jpg

Next day a local guide persuaded us to go out with him to Hornby Island, billed as the Hawaii of Canada. Another two ferries to get there so it was quite remote, but again full of built trails you could ride all day, which we did. Martin, the guide, was starting out a guiding company so had along a pro-photographer mate to take pics for his site. (www.islandmountainrides.com)

51.jpg

52.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

58.jpg

Staying in the hostel was like stepping inside 'The Collective', went to the village pub later for burger night and the place was packed with mtb'ers, almost everyone in the village rides in the summer and builds in the winter.

Locals were very friendly aswell, managed to get invited along to a post-pub skinny dipping sesh in the lake. Took us a while to find it but hot naked Canadian girls FTW. Warmed up with a fire and illicit smoking session. Luckily I had an emergency Cuban in the glovebox and some beers.

Left the next day to goto Vancouver for a night out, but it was a bit low-key with everyone being tired, few pitchers and shots and most were out for the count.

30.jpg

Next day back on the road to Squamish. Cougars were the main theme here, they were having shitloads of aggressive cougar sitings and authorities were warning people not to go alone on the trails. Picked up a couple bear sprays for later, I wanted to tool up with some sort of hunting knife for the cougars but didn't get chance to pick one up.

5.jpg

The trails here were super-steep, down and up. We were riding mostly black grade but even the few blue grade trails around were made hard because of the lack of rain and loose ground. Copped a heavy crash-landing on my arse when the front folded on a steep sandy switchback.

40.jpg

28.jpg

65.jpg

The rock gardens were awesome, some of them went on for what seemed like forever.

37.jpg

Spent another day here shuttling around the best trails in the van then headed up to Whistler for an uplift day.

Hired out a full-face lid and blasted the Dawg down the intermediate trails all day, good speed fix, fair bit easier than the XC we'd ridden so far but depended on how fast you rode it really. Was nailing guys on DH bikes towards the end, but didn't fancy the A-line just yet!

25.jpg

7.jpg

26.jpg

Stayed in a cabin just North of the village, then early the next morning took a 5 hour drive up to the Chilcotins. There was a forest fire going but luckily the other side of the mountains to where we were going.

68.jpg

Had a cabin booked up at Spruce Lake and pack horses carrying our gear and food. Five hour ride, mostly straight up, it was brutal.

20.jpg

43.jpg

It was worth it when we got there, middle of nowhere, huge lake, big campfires and snow-capped mountains over-looking us - beautiful.

66.jpg

67.jpg

Couple days later did a ride up Windy Pass, watching out for the Wolverine that had a cave up there!

64.jpg

18.jpg

44.jpg

24.jpg

45.jpg

63.jpg

Big hike-a-bike climb up but lovely half-hour descent heading back. The trails here weren't uber-tech but they did tend to be a foot wide and have half the recommended number of sides. Gotta be a bit careful as there's no safety net to get you out - you're at best about 8 hours travel away from a mobile signal.

14.jpg

After another slack day doing an easy ride out the cabin we took on the mighty Deer Pass. This was the real epic of the trip, only 22 miles in length but the climbing was massive. You really notice the lack of air up here, I find myself running out of breath quicker than a Weight Watchers attendee.

Good few miles out on tricky terrain then what I can only describe as a monsterous 800-metre, mostly hike-a-bike climb up a super-steep loose trail all the way to the top, sitting at 2700 metres altitude (9000 foot).

48.jpg

32.jpg

21.jpg

Up there was like being on another planet, being blasted about by high speed winds, tackling snow fields where one slip would have you sledging down a precipe, real mountain biking.

Once over that and back under the tree-line were gifted with a beautiful half-hour descent down the other side. We thought the rest was going to be easy but couldn't have been more wrong, seven river crossings to deal with.

16.jpg

The first was pretty easy, second stronger but still fun, third bloody strong then the fourth, fifth, and sixth were lethal white-water death traps. One of the guys stumbled and lost his bike in the river. Had to run a couple hundred metres down the river and over banks before he managed to catch it.

Eventually got back to the cabin at half-eight, full 12 hours out on the trail and absolutely drained. Quick swim in the lake to wash off then made a metric ton of tomato pasta for everybody.

11.jpg

Next day finished the trip off with a 2 hour downhill ride back to our car & van.

longers

Legendary Member
That looks and sounds superb :biggrin:

Trip of a lifetime? or are you going back next year? :smile:

But the thing is I have packed my bags Twice and done tours around Europe for 4 and 11 months but the last one was 9 years ago. I have been thinking for some time that I need to go for a long trip (6-12+)months maybe out side Europe.

OP
OP
M

maurice

I was confused about that too, I guess 228 posts is relatively few though!

Thanks guys.

Oh yeah forgot the bear sightings! That black bear in the photo ran out in front of Nick on a downhill trail in Whistler. Another guy Gareth saw a beer looking up at him as he went over in a lift.

The closest one by far was when three of the guys who had split off from us that day in their own group underestimated their route and ended up getting back in the dark.

When it goes dark in the Chilcotins the place is crawling with large wildlife. The guy at the front of their group first saw a black bear, which ran anyway from him. Then later on while he was waiting at a junction for the others, noticed a large bear not 20 metres away from him on the side.

As soon as he touched his front brake, it made a squeal and the bear looked right at him. They stared at each other not moving for ten minutes, during which time it became obvious it was a Grizzly. Nick moved one step forward and the bear instantly mimicked him and began moving in; he had been assessed for dinner! He quickly rode off and luckily it didn't chase him down.

Most comedic bear sighting was on the drive back to Vancouver. A black bear was sitting on the side of the freeway with it's head and paws resting over the barrier, watching the traffic go by.

OP
OP
M

maurice

spandex said:
But the thing is I have packed my bags Twice and done tours around Europe for 4 and 11 months but the last one was 9 years ago. I have been thinking for some time that I need to go for a long trip (6-12+)months maybe out side Europe.

Riding the Trans Canada trail could be an option for you? I was tempted, the 4 months it'd take to do it would be a real adventure, but bit of a career break.

OP
OP
M

maurice

Oh yeah definitely, it's on my list of things to do, but one that requires rather more planning than a couple week holiday.

Can you imagine camping in a different bit of untouched Canadian wilderness, waking up to it almost every morning for four months.... I'm making myself want to go again.

The last times I went I just quit my job and went and when money was getting tight I would just find a job. Camping across Canadian now there is a thing I did not think of but to of my mates did a week camping trip there and said it was the best thing they have done. I was just the level they had to go to to make camp.

mocker

excellent pics fella, looks like you had a great trip ( though why no pics of riding Seymour/Fromme/Grouse on the North Shore? you missed a trick there if you didnt try those trails...)
im hoping to get out there in Sept just before whistler closes...on the strength of your pics i think ill try Hornby as well

OP
OP
M

maurice

Nah didn't get to ride Vancouver, it was a shame to miss out on it but there's so much to ride out there, there's no way you can fit it all into two weeks!

Hornby is very cool, recommend staying for a few days in Cumberland doing the trails there, and a Hornby day trip definitely.

Top Bottom