My DAB radio collection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianpallen

Über Member
I collect DAB and vintage pocket radios. Here is a couple of pics of my DAB radio collection. I am running out of space to put them and I do use them. Some have power supplies and two have built in rechargeable batteries and one has AA batteries. I have Roberts, Pure, Hitachi, Akai, Bush, Grundig and aFergusson. I still have not got the one I really one, but one day, I will. :smile:

Attachments

• DSC_0166.JPG
    DSC_0166.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0167.JPG
    DSC_0167.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0168.JPG
    DSC_0168.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 4

Gunk

Guru
I bought my wife the Kath Kidston Roberts DAB radio as a Christmas present many years ago, it’s still used every day.

IMG_0920.jpeg

I've had quite a few radios in my time but the very first I had was this one which I noticed is for sale on ebay italy. It cost £3.85 from Timothy Whites in Yeovil back in the 70s. I'm not sure what my favourite radio of all time is probably one of the Bang and Olufsen portable radios or maybe a Hacker.

philips radio.jpg

OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
I've had quite a few radios in my time but the very first I had was this one which I noticed is for sale on ebay italy. It cost £3.85 from Timothy Whites in Yeovil back in the 70s. I'm not sure what my favourite radio of all time is probably one of the Bang and Olufsen portable radios or maybe a Hacker.

View attachment 697109

I wll get a photo of my pocket radios tomorrow. I had one many years ago and it was in my car when my car was stolen. For the past 10 v=- 15 years, I have been looking for one the same but have never seen one. I remember what it looked like and the style was horizontal. I have had a few pocket radios when I was a kid. Two thinks I had a liking for as a kid was pocket radio's and also torches. I always tried to go better and brighter unil I got a torch / lantern that showed a beam when it was dark out. I had them in the 70's and they varied from small pocket torches to car emergency lanterns.
The pocket radio I am looking for was a AM (MW) which ran off a pp3 9v battery and had a small battery cover on the rear, speaker had a chrome centre and the pattern over the speaker was diagonal goijng around the speaker like a bicycle spoked wheel but only one way, no crossing of the 'spokes'. I cant remember hte make of it as it was from the 1970's and was gone in 1982. I often look on ebay for one, but never found one identical. Some are similat. I wired it up to my car battery to listen to it at night. I mostly listened to Raduo Luxembourg on it.

OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
I bought my wife the Kath Kidston Roberts DAB radio as a Christmas present many years ago, it’s still used every day.

View attachment 697106

The one I have of this style is the RD50. I bought it and it was dark green and the casing material was a mess and peeling away like mad. I bought it to recover it. The radio works great. I had an old pair of trousers that are green and a thick cotton material and cut them up to recover it. Looks great to me. I was going to buy a long denim skirt off ebay to cover it with. Cheaper than buying denim material. lol. I had done similar when I recovered a moped scooter seat from a brown leather jacket I won on ebay for £0.99p + £2.00 postage a few years ago.

presta

Guru
When I was a kid I had a voracious appetite for pulling old valve radios & TVs to bits, and by the time word got round they rolled in. If I'd have kept them all I'd have enough for a museum worth a fortune. :laugh:

When I was a kid my bedside radio was the radio end sawn off an old radiogram, given to me by the next door neighbour.

I chucked a load of stuff away when I was clearing out about 6 years ago, including my first cassette recorder like this one:
1688248014708.png

I used to have one of these still in working order, but I think that must have gone in the bin at the same time.
1688248610147.jpeg

1688248648569.jpeg

OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
These are my pocket radio's. The small white one is a kit I bought and built. The travel clock radio (the oldest one) still works well as does the wind up clock. The alarm sounds very wierd, sort of a tinny rattle). My fave is the horizontal one in front of the yellow one. All of the radio's work when batteries are placed in them.

Attachments

• DSC_0169.JPG
    DSC_0169.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0171.JPG
    DSC_0171.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0170.JPG
    DSC_0170.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
Fascinating collection Ian. Thanks for posting.
Never DAB radios could be old enough to be considered vintage.

I hate it when I am searching on ebay for vintage radio and get some DAB ones pop up in the vintage section. Even modern (to me from around hte 80's) pop up. People post items as CD players as vintage, or 1980's vintage. lol.
I would love a good old valve radio, but I havenowhere to put one and we dont get MW very well here in Leicester. LW is out of the question as we cant get it.
I prefer DAB as it has some stations I like that play the old stuff from 70's and some 60's hits too.

I collect DAB and vintage pocket radios. Here is a couple of pics of my DAB radio collection. I am running out of space to put them and I do use them. Some have power supplies and two have built in rechargeable batteries and one has AA batteries. I have Roberts, Pure, Hitachi, Akai, Bush, Grundig and aFergusson. I still have not got the one I really one, but one day, I will. :smile:

A lot of those look like analogue stuff to me!

As a child I used to love the terrible hong kong made radios from market stalls that were about £1 each, very plasticky, poorly soldered and with awful tinny speakers but somehow as a kid they were amazing. I used to keep one in my saddle bag. Seemed to remember they took a little pp3 9v battery. Some of them had names that had a vague connection with better brands; Panatronic, Sonyo etc. I don't remember any nasty electronics coming from mainland China back then it was all from Hong Kong. I can't see any images of them online I guess they all went to landfill in a only a year or so. This thread has given me a bit of radio nostalgia. Also I had a Russian radio at one point 'Vega' I think. They used to be advertised in newspapers but I picked mine up for a few quid at a car boot I think. I did like the sound quality of it.

OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
As a child I used to love the terrible hong kong made radios from market stalls that were about £1 each, very plasticky, poorly soldered and with awful tinny speakers but somehow as a kid they were amazing. I used to keep one in my saddle bag. Seemed to remember they took a little pp3 9v battery. Some of them had names that had a vague connection with better brands; Panatronic, Sonyo etc. I don't remember any nasty electronics coming from mainland China back then it was all from Hong Kong. I can't see any images of them online I guess they all went to landfill in a only a year or so. This thread has given me a bit of radio nostalgia. Also I had a Russian radio at one point 'Vega' I think. They used to be advertised in newspapers but I picked mine up for a few quid at a car boot I think. I did like the sound quality of it.

The old russian radios are getting to be collectors items. The prices are high on ebay, but they dont sell much. If people put htem at a reasonal price, they would sell. There is a seller on ebay who lists vintage pocket radio's at £38. He has quite a few and they dont sell. After a few months, they come down by a couple of quid. Some are the same as I have andI bought mine cheaper. I remember when a lot of Chinese 'Made in Hng Kong' items came into the UK. They were cheap and flooded the market. But most did end up in the bins as they were useless. But todays stuff, I see well known names on stuff and they are made in china. Labour is cheap over there so it is all about profit from the companies and not quality.

Top Bottom