My First 50 mile ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

olliem121

I'm quite please with myself for finishing a route of 52 miles today. I didn't find it easy, i really struggled through the last 10 miles where the wind seemed to be completely holding me back. There was also nearly a misshap when a sudden gust of crosswind was so close to knocking me off (i was going no handed for a little stretch of my back and hands). The wind knocked the handle bars pretty much 90 degrees to the right, and somehow I managed to land my right foot on the ground with enough control to scoot back on course and catch hold of the bike with my hands. Lucky escape as i ended up in on the wrong side of the road.

I'm going to keep pushing myself to explore new areas and improve my ability. Here's the routes i've done in the 1 month since i've been cycling as a hobby, any thoughts?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl...51.76444,-0.685272&spn=0.492957,1.234589&z=10

Just one question for those in the know. What is recommended for servicing. My bike is a Road Bike, that has had very little attention since i bought it in 2008. However it has very little use up until recently, probably done about 400 or 500 miles in total.

Is now a good time for a service? If so, what services do I need.

Heres a list of prices from my LBS

http://buckinghambikes.web-epos.com/page/15/Workshop_Price_list

Is this good value, and do i go for bronze, silver, gold? etc

Thanks in advance for reading, i look forward to hearing from the community

ramses

Well done for completing 52 Miles, glad you enjoyed it, and it is very addictive! isn't it
thumbsup.png

Personally I would have taken the bike in for a service before hand as the bike had been sat around for some time. However that is my personal opinion, and it sounds like the bike is working fine, after all you just covered 52 miles.

I generally keep my bikes in shape as I go, and then once every 6 months I will take it to the shop and have them check and tune everything up, even if I don't feel anything is out.
Again a personal choice, but I do like to care for my bikes.

It doesn't sound like you need a service, but then again it wouldn't hurt for them to check the gears are all good and the chain is ok etc.... I doubt it needs a major service.

Again, well done and keep up the good work.

I have a 66 mile charity ride this Sunday, and I am really looking forward to it. It's just great fun being on a ride, training, events or otherwise!

OP
OP
O

olliem121

Well done for completing 52 Miles, glad you enjoyed it, and it is very addictive! isn't it
thumbsup.png

Personally I would have taken the bike in for a service before hand as the bike had been sat around for some time. However that is my personal opinion, and it sounds like the bike is working fine, after all you just covered 52 miles.

I generally keep my bikes in shape as I go, and then once every 6 months I will take it to the shop and have them check and tune everything up, even if I don't feel anything is out.
Again a personal choice, but I do like to care for my bikes.

It doesn't sound like you need a service, but then again it wouldn't hurt for them to check the gears are all good and the chain is ok etc.... I doubt it needs a major service.

Again, well done and keep up the good work.

I have a 66 mile charity ride this Sunday, and I am really looking forward to it. It's just great fun being on a ride, training, events or otherwise!

Thanks for the encouragement, and good luck for your charity ride.

Your exactly right, the bike seems to run nicely and the reason I intend to get it looked at is just because i have had it a long time. Would it be best to get a the most basic service for now then?

ramses

Thanks for the encouragement, and good luck for your charity ride.

Your exactly right, the bike seems to run nicely and the reason I intend to get it looked at is just because i have had it a long time. Would it be best to get a the most basic service for now then?

Personally that's what I would do, just ask the shop to give it a once over and check the gearing and chain to ensure all is ok. If the bike is running well with no noises, clicking etc... from the bottom bracket or pedals or anywhere else, then I don't think it needs a full service.

My aim is to get up to 50+ miles in the near future, so well done on that. I had my bike serviced last week just on the basic package, at a shop in Manchester and the cost was £29. It was worth having it done, if only to get my dodgy gears sorted out. They also did all the other things that your shop is offering in the Bronze package. So get it done, then you should be ok for another year! Hopefully!!

Munchkin100

Well done Ollie on your ride today and in the wind it was awful out your way.
I have my bikes serviced at the beginning of the year, as I am a fair weather cyclist mine dont get an airing over the winter, so I like to get them sorted ready for the good weather and usually have a check over if im going on a long haul.

congrats on your ride. i'm building up for a 60mile 'coastal challenge' ride in June. most i've done is 30 or so in a day.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I'm quite please with myself for finishing a route of 52 miles today. I didn't find it easy, i really struggled through the last 10 miles where the wind seemed to be completely holding me back. There was also nearly a misshap when a sudden gust of crosswind was so close to knocking me off (i was going no handed for a little stretch of my back and hands). The wind knocked the handle bars pretty much 90 degrees to the right, and somehow I managed to land my right foot on the ground with enough control to scoot back on course and catch hold of the bike with my hands. Lucky escape as i ended up in on the wrong side of the road.

I'm going to keep pushing myself to explore new areas and improve my ability. Here's the routes i've done in the 1 month since i've been cycling as a hobby, any thoughts?

http://maps.google.c...7,1.234589&z=10

Just one question for those in the know. What is recommended for servicing. My bike is a Road Bike, that has had very little attention since i bought it in 2008. However it has very little use up until recently, probably done about 400 or 500 miles in total.

Is now a good time for a service? If so, what services do I need.

Heres a list of prices from my LBS

http://buckinghambik...shop_Price_list

Is this good value, and do i go for bronze, silver, gold? etc

Thanks in advance for reading, i look forward to hearing from the community

It's a great feeling isn't it?

A very big well done to you? Do you have a new target?

OP
OP
O

olliem121

It's a great feeling isn't it?

A very big well done to you? Do you have a new target?

yes great feeling. I never thought i would enjoy cycling as a hobby/challenge. I spent 5 years a paperboy when I was little, but i finally shrugged off the horrible memories of getting on my £80 full suspension Costco BSO with a heavy bag at 6am every morning.

Not sure about a my next target, my motive is to keep fitness up for the next football season. I would quite like to do a weekend tour covering 150miles at some point this summer.

Top Bottom