My first commute.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monkreadusuk

Über Member
Well I managed my first commute today (test ride on day off). So glad I got myself a road bike, found it much easier than my hybrid. Finally getting the hang of braking from the hoods and my gear changing is getting better.

Only one minor incident where some idiot cut me up coming off a RAB. One thing I really noticed was how much safer I felt when riding in primary. Before I came to these forums I wasnt really aware of primary and how and when I should use it. Now though, I have better understandinf of when to use it. RAB's were so much easier with less close calls. I do feel bad for holding up traffic but try my hardest to get the power down quick and get out the way for them.

Clipless pedals....omg I love them. I can stand up and give it some welly so much easier now, no slipping off the pedals and uphills feel a lot quicker :biggrin:

My aim was to average 16mph over the 16mile journey to work. I hit 15.7mph average on my first try, cant be too bad.

And to top it all off, perfecr timing for my first ride. Im not allowed to go far as the missus is due to drop our first baby on the 22nd. Got home from the ride this morning and within 10 mins of getting in, she started labour.

There goes my plans of some nice riding over my 4 days off, the weather has suddenly improved too. Just my luck :P

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice one.
You picked a good time to start your commuting. As you say, the weather is getting better. Come the warmer months you will be flying along.

Kies

Good luck with the bambino .... And well done on the trial commute. Your times will only improve

Amack

Good on you! Hope the labour goes ok and you can always cycle to see them at the hospital! Out of interest what road bike did you change to?

OP
OP
M

Monkreadusuk

Über Member
Good on you! Hope the labour goes ok and you can always cycle to see them at the hospital! Out of interest what road bike did you change to?

Thanks, labour went ok, other than the fact the baby decided to turb last minute and try come out feet first. Im now the proud daddy of a little girl :smile: had to leave her and mum in hospital as it was an emergenct c section. Back to see them in the morning (will take the car not bike though :P )

I changed from an old hybrid to a specalized tricross, loving it so far :biggrin:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Welcome to the fun world of bicycle commuting! :smile:
Now you'll need to start planning ahead for the purchase of a bakfiets, so the little one can grow up seeing the world from bicycles.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Congrats on the cycling to work, and on the baby too! Take it easy on the clipless pedals. A few months ago, I was behind a 'mature' couple in Blyth (Doncaster). The man stopped first and fell off, to be joined a second late by his wife falling on top of him. They were o.k. and after I'd got out of the lorry to help them as they untangled themselves, they laughed it off.

Oh, and there were a group of 'work' men at the side of road who did sod all to help.....nice.

Good luck mate! Cycling is great for those hazy days when you've only had a couple of hours sleep...you might even keep track of what is going on in meetings if you're lucky!!!

Top Bottom