My first long ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craven2354

Hello didn't know where to put this if it's in wrong place can an administrator please move it for me :smile:

So I set off the morning on a ride nothing planned decided I would to go southport I'm from stalybridge in greater Manchester the only,way I know is down the east lamcs then up the a570 I was approaching a roundabout on the east lancs with a hard side hgv about 50 yards behind I decided to take the inside lane cars were coming round so stopped and he seemed to brake hard for some reason so I get onto the roundabout going straight ahead all good then about 20yards down the road he overtakes me give nothing less that a foot of space I was thinking this was close but then he decides to swerve into the kerb I swear he was nothing more than about an inch away from me when I swerved in if I hadn't I would of been under his wheels :@

I didn't get reg as what shouting abusive things at him :/

So then I get to southport all good set off back and get about 10 miles from home 100 miles cycled already max I've done before was 55miles I was coming up a hill had to change down so I sat down clicked the gear shifter then a crunk and snap and the bike just stops as I was clipped In I just went sideways :smile: only to look up and see my rear derailer in the middle of my back wheel the thing completely snapped off :sad: had to call for a ride home :sad:

Sorry to hear your troubles with the bike, well done on the ride. Its possible the driver may have been tired or had a tipple, I have known it.

So the drop out is intact, if so you will probably need a new derailer and some way to remove the remaining bolt, you will need to check for damage to the wheel and rear hanger, these can also be replaced, if your not sure see your L.B.S.

oilyormo

gettin warmer??
sorry to hear of your troubles

is it possible for the derailer to go into the spokes if the stops are not set right? im no bike mechanic so i dont know is it poss. that this happened?

i also went to southport today for the airshow. weather great and some good cycle paths..especially the rainford bypass.
i was nearly a bonnet ornament though when audi in opposite direction turned right without seeing me (even with flourescent green top on) and stopped a couple of feet from my leg (seems he was trying to get across the road to beat the car 50 yds behind me but didnt see me till last minute) frightening !!!

OP
OP
craven2354

craven2354

I didn't know the air show was on tbh I went so I could ride down the front then got there and couldn't hit out paying £9 -.-

oilyormo

gettin warmer??
£9 s cheap compared to the previous years ive been im sure ive paid over £20 in the past.
hows the east lancs for cycling down? is there a cycle lane? only ever done it in the car and ive never noticed

OP
OP
craven2354

craven2354

Yes there is a is a cycle lane it's ok in the middle but for the first 3-4 miles at each end you need a mountain bike to ride on it :smile: so I went on the road until the smooth bit but it's a great ride I find and the a570 has a cycle lane to which was in very good condition

Top Bottom