My first mini exhibition!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

heather212

Hi peeps,

I'm planning what will be my first mini exhibition....but as a novice I need a bit of help with my itinary!

I'm planning a long weekend - Friday to Monday, and while I want to do a fair bit on the bike I also want to stop off and look at some interesting stuff on the way! Anyways, here is my preliminary planning:-

Friday Day 1) Early start - hop on the train from Manchester to Birmingham with the bike. Then follow Sustrans Route 5 from Birmingham to Stratford upon Avon. I think thats probably about 30 miles? Potter about Stratford for a bit and possibly head to Warwick Castle for a look see. I'll probably stay in a B&B or Youth Hostel in Stratford on the Friday night. Any suggestions or recommendations would be good (tight budget though!)

Saturday Day 2) Head from Stratford to Oxford on Sustrans route 5 (50 miles?). Will be staying with friends in Oxford on the Saturday night (and possibly Sunday!)

Sunday Day 3) Will then be heading for London from Oxford. However, as I want a fairly leisurely trip I may jump on the train to Reading and start from there. A couple of friends from London will probably meet me at Reading to cycle back along Sustrans route 4 or the Thames route? (Suggestions welcome!). I know I'll probably miss some nice countryside in the Chilterns if I start in Reading, but I think the Oxford - London haul is too much for a single day? I'd rather start at Reading and then have more time to potter around Windsor! But if anyone has better ideas? Sunday night I'll stay with friends in London.

Monday Day 4) I'll spend the day pottering around London before hopping on a train back to Manchester!

Any suggestions for routes, accommodation, etc would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Heather

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I was expecting artwork with a title like that!

OP
OP
H

heather212

Sorry! Here's a wee abstract picture of the Mona Lisa:-

:smile:

Although, admittedly, the smile is not very enigmatic!

Maybe "The Scream" would work better:-

:tongue:

There you go.....a mini exhibition! ;)

Yes, of course I mean a mini expedition! It's been a long day at Uni!! :becool:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Having replied in a very unhelpful way previously, I now have to say that I can't answer any of your questions helpfully, I'm afraid ;), except to ask if you've done 50 mile rides before and find them comfortable?

OP
OP
H

heather212

Auntie Helen said:
Having replied in a very unhelpful way previously, I now have to say that I can't answer any of your questions helpfully, I'm afraid ;), except to ask if you've done 50 mile rides before and find them comfortable?

I've done Manchester to Liverpool a few times and those have been near 50 mile days. And from what I've read the Stratford to Oxford leg of Sustrans route 5 is fairly easy going? Perhaps someone who has ridden that route could advise? And again, the Reading to London route is fairly easy going and somewhat less than 50 miles? Again any advice is welcome! Those are the types of question I'd need a bit of guidance on!

Am I being a bit ambitious? I reckon that in total I'm looking at around 130 miles of riding over 3 days on fairly easy going terrain? Too much or not?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
If you're used to cycling I wouldn't think that's too much at all; but if you only cycle sporadically you might find it hard work.

I can't advise as I haven't done a tour but I do 30-50 miles per day at the moment and find it doesn't tire me at all as I built up to it. I expect, as in many things, preparation is important!

OP
OP
H

heather212

Last summer it wouldn't have been a problem, as although I'm a novice cyclist, my general fitness levels are pretty good from playing a lot of other sports.

However, a ruptured achilles tendon back in October, followed by 12 weeks in plaster, followed by a few months of physiotherapy have meant that my fitness levels are pretty much at an all time low!

I'm planning on doing this trip in May, so I have 6 weeks or so of swimming and cycling to build up my fitness levels again....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
heather212 said:
Yes, of course I mean a mini expedition! It's been a long day at Uni!! :ohmy:
Studying English language perchance?

Sounds an eminantly doable trip. Take it easy, plenty breaks and loads of food and drink from the off.
I did Oxford to London as a Night ride a few weeks back, 64 miles going the Thame, Chinnor, High Wycombe, Chalfonts towards Ruislip kinda route and it's quite lumpy in places, the route south of the M40 would be preferrable for ease, with your suggested Reading via Windsor to London even better. Have fun!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Heather, I would think if you're not too sure of your fitness then maybe it would be more enjoyable to do less rather than more.
Having a good time is the main thing.

Enjoy!

This is more or less a route I abandoned in February!

P2051656.jpg

If in Warwick, don't forget the Lord Leycester Hospital which is well worth a visit

Stratford can be a bit "touristy", but if you can also try and see some "traditional" Shakespeare.

Sounds like a great trip! Reading to London is OK, and it's got a train line running parralel to it, so if you get too tired just get the train! Some bits around the edge of London are a bit grotty though.
The Thames is lovely, and although you're not supposed to ride on it you can usually get away with it, and there's lovely towns like Henley on Thames and Marlow. If you could be persuaded to take a tent, some of the Thames camp sites (on the locks) offer very good value for money and are lovely.
Remember to show us the photos when you get back!

Top Bottom