My first (really, really) close pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abo

Thanks to Franks Factory Flooring I suffered my first really close pass. Coming up to a traffic island in the road said company van was behind me. I held my right hand out a bit to tell him to back off but through he came, nearly clobbered me with his wing mirror and I ended up crashing up the kerb, more a panic reaction than anything else.

This traffic island is shared use for peds and cyclists, with a cycle track either side. maybe he was expecting me to take the track. Maybe he was just a feckwit.

Lesson learned: take primary, and early...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks to Franks Factory Flooring I suffered my first really close pass. Coming up to a traffic island in the road said company van was behind me. I held my right hand out a bit to tell him to back off but through he came, nearly clobbered me with his wing mirror and I ended up crashing up the kerb, more a panic reaction than anything else.

This traffic island is shared use for peds and cyclists, with a cycle track either side. maybe he was expecting me to take the track. Maybe he was just a feckwit.

Lesson learned: take primary, and early...

Yup!

david k

Hi
did ou get his number? i need a new carpet
biggrin.gif

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Q: What does a Mexican carpet fitter shout?
A: Underlay! Underlay!

IGMC

Davidc

Guru
Just looked at the street view. The junction's specially designed to kill cyclists* - the only response is to use primary.

*As are most places with islands like that in the road.

dand_uk

Looks like a sustrans route crosses greens Lane. No reason to take cycle track if you are heading along Green's Lane.

As previously said claim the road before heading past island.

OP
OP
abo

abo

Yes we definately be more lane claiming from me in the future. I'm getting more confident with it; I rode into town yesterday (my car was in for it's MOT; bike in the back, drive to garage, ride home. Never thought the bike would be so handy :whistle:) and I was mixing it with the traffic on a couple of busy roundabouts and everything, I was dead chuffed lol. It has to be said that most people have been really courteous, even a taxi driver held back before doing a nice wide pass :tongue:

Top Bottom