My first week of proper commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Location
Mid Hampshire
This week I did a distance of 10 miles Monday, Wednesday & Friday instead of my normal ten minute dash down the road. I donned my bit of cycle clothing brought from Aldi/Lidl. I felt a bit all the gear, no idea. On Monday it was bl**dy cold, I didn't have enough layers on so I kept my water proof jacket on and boiled! Wednesday I learned what it was like to cycle in to the wind. On Thursday on I little jaunt back rail station I http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/have-i-written-my-bike-off.91481/broke my bike! So on Friday I had to use bike #2 which hasn't been used for some 18 months. It's an old hybrid. So on Friday I was expecting my journey to be much slower than if I used my Sirrus. It wasn't! I found having the right cycling specific clothing was more important than having a better bike.
 

Col5632

Legendary Member
Location
Cowdenbeath
Good for you, same again next week?
 
OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Location
Mid Hampshire
Being an idle student, all bit it a well mature one, I have the next three weeks off so no trips to Uni. However with the family coming down for Xmas i might have to go to the library! Two other things made the commute more pleasant were secure bike storage and hot showers. I I would have liked lockers, and would be happy to pay for their use.
 

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Keep it up !!

If your not needing to commute for a few weeks it gives you time to fix the bike and get some really good leisure miles in.Nothing wrong with lidl /aldi kit , for the price it is excellent stuff.
I user the shoes, leggings , shirts and jackets for my commuting and it is perfectly ok, if i do a weekend ride i am doing a lot more distance so i wear better shorts (with leggings this time of year ) as i need better padding once i get over a couple of hours in the saddle.
Breaking your bike? sounds like a good argument to have another "back up " bike and it will be Christmas soon ........
 
Top Bottom