My first week of proper commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
This week I did a distance of 10 miles Monday, Wednesday & Friday instead of my normal ten minute dash down the road. I donned my bit of cycle clothing brought from Aldi/Lidl. I felt a bit all the gear, no idea. On Monday it was bl**dy cold, I didn't have enough layers on so I kept my water proof jacket on and boiled! Wednesday I learned what it was like to cycle in to the wind. On Thursday on I little jaunt back rail station I http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/have-i-written-my-bike-off.91481/broke my bike! So on Friday I had to use bike #2 which hasn't been used for some 18 months. It's an old hybrid. So on Friday I was expecting my journey to be much slower than if I used my Sirrus. It wasn't! I found having the right cycling specific clothing was more important than having a better bike.

Col5632

Guru
Good for you, same again next week?

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Being an idle student, all bit it a well mature one, I have the next three weeks off so no trips to Uni. However with the family coming down for Xmas i might have to go to the library! Two other things made the commute more pleasant were secure bike storage and hot showers. I I would have liked lockers, and would be happy to pay for their use.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Keep it up !!

If your not needing to commute for a few weeks it gives you time to fix the bike and get some really good leisure miles in.Nothing wrong with lidl /aldi kit , for the price it is excellent stuff.
I user the shoes, leggings , shirts and jackets for my commuting and it is perfectly ok, if i do a weekend ride i am doing a lot more distance so i wear better shorts (with leggings this time of year ) as i need better padding once i get over a couple of hours in the saddle.
Breaking your bike? sounds like a good argument to have another "back up " bike and it will be Christmas soon ........

Top Bottom